Where is the oldest footpath/track in Leeds that is still used?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder where is the oldest footpath/track in Leeds that is still used as such? There are some near where I live that are marked on an 1851 map but I feel sure there will be older ones around. It may be very difficult to determine, but has anyone any suggestions? I have tried a search of SL but it seems to be a difficult subject to search for.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think if we look at where the Kirkstall monks were going about in days gone by Leo. We know they were quarrying up at Roundhay, and they had various other things going on. The Weetwood ginnel up to Otley Road was another old footpath.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Phil. Wow that was a fast response! I like the thought that I am walking on the same tracks that others were doing long ago.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Keeper Lane That goes from Fulneck up to Tong is an old pack horse trail I am sure I read that the path could be over a thousand years old.Then there could be paths still used that date back to Romans times Adel could have paths or tracks going back that far.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tilly. I don't know Keeper Lane. It sounds interesting. I've done a quick Internet search and found that it is part of the Leeds Country Way route, of which I've only ever done a very short bit locally.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I think if we look at where the Kirkstall monks were going about in days gone by Leo. We know they were quarrying up at Roundhay, and they had various other things going on. The Weetwood ginnel up to Otley Road was another old footpath.     I thought they used tunnels...?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Leodian, following Phill's reply above you might want to have a look at page 4 of this thread (I think my link takes you straight to page 4) in which Phill describes the Weetwood ginnel with photos, and I added some information from a book I have. It took me a while to find the thread, despite having contributed to it myself, so I know what you mean about the difficulty of searching http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ge=75Tilly, I walked from Fulneck to Tong via Keeper Lane last year and felt as if I'd gone back in time - what a lovely path and in parts you could still see the kerbed edges of the path and what looked like wheelruts in the stones. The views from the path were excellent as well and I'd recommend it (refreshments stops at both ends too - the Bankhouse in Fulneck and the Greyhound at Tong

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I still use parts of the Roman Road up at (variously) Adel & Cookridge.Not sure that counts as a valid 'footpath still used' tho'..I like to take a line from Kirkstall Abbey to Allerton Grange to get a feel for the way the monks would've gone. Suspect they, like me, stopped for a breather on 'that bench' on Gledhow Lane.
Attachments
bench.PNG
bench.PNG (83.19 KiB) Viewed 12943 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Tasa for bringing the excellent Ginnels of Leeds thread back for me to read. Stopping for a breather is becoming more or less essential for me now Jogon on my local strolls. I occasionally do a walk that passes part of Eccup reservoir to Stub House area and then continuing on a circular route that uses what is a very old (parts often very muddy) track (it's on an 1851 map and could be much older) that comes out at Bank House Farm. There is a welcome bench near there but it is often occupied so I have to rest at a large boulder further along the road! PS. Bank House Farm looks an interesting set of buildings that is on the 1851 map but is not named.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Tasa wrote: Leodian, following Phill's reply above you might want to have a look at page 4 of this thread (I think my link takes you straight to page 4) in which Phill describes the Weetwood ginnel with photos, and I added some information from a book I have. It took me a while to find the thread, despite having contributed to it myself, so I know what you mean about the difficulty of searching http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ge=75Tilly, I walked from Fulneck to Tong via Keeper Lane last year and felt as if I'd gone back in time - what a lovely path and in parts you could still see the kerbed edges of the path and what looked like wheelruts in the stones. The views from the path were excellent as well and I'd recommend it (refreshments stops at both ends too - the Bankhouse in Fulneck and the Greyhound at Tong Hi Tasa If you fancy a longer walk on the other side of the road from the Greyhound the path goes down to Troydale if you keep left at the bottom following the beck you will come to Sykes Wood follow the beck untill it goes under Tong Road cross the road to Roker Lane walk about two hundred yards up Roker Lane you will see a white cottage the sign for the foot path is there follow this along the valley bottom following the beck past the golf course you will come back to Keeper Lane.I would say its about a five mile round trip best done in the summer months has it as lots of wet patches in parts
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.