Where is the oldest footpath/track in Leeds that is still used?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote: The mysterious Pompocali (subject of a separate thread) near Bardsey lies between 2 Roman roads. i think it is also a hill fort which means that tracks to it would predate the Roman roads.The fact that a Roman altar was found in the stream nearby and the only known Roman villas in the area were about a mile away also indicates an important site for the Romans and as the roads specifically converge there,it must have some significance to them. Hi Steve. Pompocali is an intriguing place that I've had occasional walks by for many years now. As far as I am aware there is still no accepted consensus as to what it was, though a Roman connection does seem to be the most popular.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Leodian wrote: Hi Steve. Pompocali is an intriguing place that I've had occasional walks by for many years now. As far as I am aware there is still no accepted consensus as to what it was, though a Roman connection does seem to be the most popular. Yes,nobody had really looked at it until an archaeology student did some research (she has a great website on it) as it was accepted as a quarry.I went up there last year and it is definitely not a quarry and never has been as far as historical maps go.There is no road out if it ever was for a start.to me it resembles a small hill fortand as I said previous it is a meeting point for 2 Roman roads so of importance.I mentioned to my pet archaeologist about it and he concurs that it isn't a quarry but not sure I am correct.Well worth a visit if anyone wants a walk but very muddy paths with deep puddles in wet weather, or just after.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Steve Jones wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi Steve. Pompocali is an intriguing place that I've had occasional walks by for many years now. As far as I am aware there is still no accepted consensus as to what it was, though a Roman connection does seem to be the most popular. Yes,nobody had really looked at it until an archaeology student did some research (she has a great website on it) as it was accepted as a quarry.I went up there last year and it is definitely not a quarry and never has been as far as historical maps go.There is no road out if it ever was for a start.to me it resembles a small hill fortand as I said previous it is a meeting point for 2 Roman roads so of importance.I mentioned to my pet archaeologist about it and he concurs that it isn't a quarry but not sure I am correct.Well worth a visit if anyone wants a walk but very muddy paths with deep puddles in wet weather, or just after. Another walk, for those who might be interested...(it mentions a path being of Roman origin)http://www.theaa.com/walks/bardsey-and-pompocali-421274    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

The Parksider

Re: Where is the oldest footpath/track in Leeds that is still used?

Post by The Parksider »

I.m going for Lee Lane in Horsforth as it is as original as you can get I think?

It's a "holloway" worn down below the lie of the land through centuries of use, it still has it's old causey stones in there, and either side the best remains of really old coal mines in Leeds are dotted about.

Long Causeway is nowt compared to this gem!

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

I would have thought that the paths through the hawksworth woods would have been very old, started by the monks themselves.
Come on Leeds United!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

the hill next to Asda at Killingbeck was a Celtic settlement, some of the paths in that area might be the oldest?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There is round barrow in Carr Manor field next to Stonegate Road:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/johnnyg19 ... 569028792/
although as it was marshy might not have been footpath but must have been path to it which makes it a contender.Archaeologist friend confirmed it was a round barrow not civil war as claimed at link.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!