possible roman road

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

One of the beauties of leodis is the comments of other people that give insight that would have otherwise been lost. well a comment here has me intrested about the possible discovery of a roman road.I seem to recall reading that a similar road was found deep under briggate

polo

Post by polo »

Sorry forgot the link the comment is by graham schofieldhttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

polo wrote: Sorry forgot the link the comment is by graham schofieldhttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL Considering that City Square was built in the early 1900's i find it hard to believe that a Roman Road would not have been found then.Doesnt look like a Roman Road either.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

polo

Post by polo »

True true i was sceptical myself but anything of this nature is up there with the best of them for me. Its possible it could have been missed or maybe they didnt go deep enough were the toilets arent.To my knowlege its never been confirmed but has been a roman settlement has been suspected near the edge of quarry hill.Apparently (i cant remember now maybe defoe) a noted leeds historian noticed some earthworks that could have been the remains of a roman settlement.The other book i read had pictures of bell pits on briggate of all places and ive never seen those photos anywhere before but it told of excavations in call lane hundreds of years ago now and someone hit a path not much more on that though but it sound more plausible.The rumored settlement that COULD have been leeds was campobodnum i think

polo

Post by polo »

Also plausible as i beleive york rd is an original roman road

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

ive mapped the main roman road in leeds but not heard of any other possible road, also it seems most of the roman activity is toward the north. ive missed out the camp at bramhope aswell if anyone wants to know where it is then just ask
if it feels good ......... dig it!

tilly

Post by tilly »

And we have the big camp at Adel Thorsby said the a concrete crossing was found on the river bed it would be near the Royal Armourys going over towards East Street this was thought to be a Roman ford The camp thought to be on Quarry Hill know has The Flats was not Roman it could have been Ancient British but not enough evidence was found to prove this of course everything on that site has now gone.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

At risk of crossing 'the county line' there's a good one on Blubberhouses Moor too.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Re: Roman Leeds and surrounding areas, here's an extract from a comment I made a while ago in the Leeds Valley Park thread.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ID=3407The first half of LVP to be built lies pretty much on the site of Beeston Pit. An interesting fact about this area is that in 1753, a group of workmen digging a cutting here on Bell Hill uncovered a Roman stone coffin containing the remains of a woman. A Roman horseshoe was also discovered by workers digging the foundations for the brewery at Carlton Bridge in 1870.
The older I get, the better I was.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

A coffin thought to be Roman was unearthed in Hunslet in 1823.Only a few bones in it plus remains of iron ,possibly a sword?remains were male.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!