possible roman road

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
polos

Re: possible roman road

Post by polos »

Im a bit more educated on this subject now. north-burg or wall flatts was thoresbys idea of the romans occupation but cant be proved. However ive read in three seperate books that a roman road was discovered in leeds at a considerable depth beneath the old rotation office and traced vicar lane and the high causey (north st)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Did Thorsby not think that Leeds was the possible site of Cambodunum after Roman remains were found at Quarry Hill? Where was North-Burgh/ Wall Flatts?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote:Did Thorsby not think that Leeds was the possible site of Cambodunum after Roman remains were found at Quarry Hill? Where was North-Burgh/ Wall Flatts?
Yeah he did but if I remember correctly his description of the workings on the site sounded more like pre roman, though that isn't to say that the Romans did not utilise the site.
If Leeds was indeed Cambodunum then one would have thought that there would have been evidence found in the town centre.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

jihfadiuh

Post by jihfadiuh »

where abouts is bell hill? i live just accross from the graveyard in belle isle and im amazed about the roman things found in this part, i cant seem to find any information on the net only that there was a lead coffin found on bell hill and also apparently was the site of a roman villa.
Does anyone else have any other information?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

When I was at Mount Saint Marys school (many years ago) one teacher was very knowledgeable about Leeds and gave us its history one day a week for an hour or so. though he did Bronze age Ango Saxon etc. he never mentioned the Romans been around.

rikj

Post by rikj »

jihfadiuh wrote:where abouts is bell hill? i live just accross from the graveyard in belle isle and im amazed about the roman things found in this part, i cant seem to find any information on the net only that there was a lead coffin found on bell hill and also apparently was the site of a roman villa.
Does anyone else have any other information?
Bell Hill is the area immediately east of Wakefield Road around where it crosses the M1, you would call it Stourton really. Most of it is now under the new office parks, or the motorway. Further up the hill it is marked on maps as "Top of Bell Hill", in the region of what was the Beeston Pit of Rothwell Haigh Colliery. Now a mish mash of various small businesses.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

As Rikj states where Bell Hill is, this is a map showing Bell Hill in relation to todays map which will make it clearer for you.

The map is from 1888.
Attachments
Bell Hill.JPG
Bell Hill.JPG (309.26 KiB) Viewed 16876 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

As it happens there is a new group just formed about this very subject:
https://wyhf.wordpress.com/2015/02/02/r ... sociation/
might be worth contacting them
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jihfadiuh

Post by jihfadiuh »

Thanks for all the replies, it amazes me just how much stuff is under our feet that we dont know about, shame we have such a lovely council who dont care about any of our history n love building on these type of sites.