oldest post box in leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

rangieowner wrote: Spotted 2 GR wall boxes on Saturday and i now think i saw a VR wall box too! will check it out this week as i only got a fleeting glimpse as i drove by! Not letting on where just yet, don't wanna be beaten to the punch!! Got it!! and it's still in use!!!! pic to follow shortly!!!!!!!!!
Love a Landrover

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This GR box may not be the oldest in Leeds but it is a striking colour! It is just outside the reception to the YEP building on Wellington Street. I doubt the blue colour is original, but you never know. I took the photo on November 19 2010 but I forgot to check if the box is in use or just a retained object of interest (possibly from the old premises in the centre of Leeds). Edit added later. Message to the mods. I'm not sure how I managed to post this as my full post with a photo is below. Please delete this post. Thanks. Sorry.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This GR box may not be the oldest in Leeds but it is a striking colour! It is just outside the reception to the YEP building on Wellington Street. I doubt the blue colour is original, but you never know. I took the photo on November 19 2010 but I forgot to check if the box is in use or just a retained object of interest (possibly from the old premises in the centre of Leeds). PS. The post box does slope. I was upright when I took the photo, honest.
Attachments
__TFMF_l0d41n34wr2stc55ng30fafb_96c35a18-eb92-4d80-9f34-58d7e5b67cc9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_l0d41n34wr2stc55ng30fafb_96c35a18-eb92-4d80-9f34-58d7e5b67cc9_0_main.jpg (710.42 KiB) Viewed 12263 times

sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farouqtaj/ ... 16/Someone begs to differ... (not me) Could the blue post box be for airmail as suggested ?

jim

Post by jim »

As this particular box is for post to the YEP only, could it be to match the colour of the language of the complaints contained therein?    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

sirjohn wrote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/farouqtaj/ ... 16/Someone begs to differ... (not me) Could the blue post box be for airmail as suggested ? In the comments in the webpage in the Flickr website that is brought up by that link there is one from a 'chrisma5803' that shows a blue post box in Leeds. That image is currently said to have been taken "7 hours ago" but it is the same photo that I took on November 19 2010 and used in my post on page 1 (if you compare it will be seen to be exactly the same photo). I do not mind the photo I took being used but 'chrisma5803' should not have posted it without stating that he/she did not take it. At least a credit to me (Leodian) and the Secret Leeds website should have been given. I am not a member of Flickr so I cannot post a comment there.Thanks sirjohn for that link, which I would otherwise have not known about.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Leodian wrote: sirjohn wrote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/farouqtaj/ ... 16/Someone begs to differ... (not me) Could the blue post box be for airmail as suggested ? In the comments in the webpage in the Flickr website that is brought up by that link there is one from a 'chrisma5803' that shows a blue post box in Leeds. That image is currently said to have been taken "7 hours ago" but it is the same photo that I took on November 19 2010 and used in my post on page 1 (if you compare it will be seen to be exactly the same photo). I do not mind the photo I took being used but 'chrisma5803' should not have posted it without stating that he/she did not take it. At least a credit to me (Leodian) and the Secret Leeds website should have been given. I am not a member of Flickr so I cannot post a comment there.Thanks sirjohn for that link, which I would otherwise have not known about. i have posted comment for you on the site,hope you don't mindDid you ask the copyright owners permission to post?/??,he posts on a forumI visit and he is not best pleased !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote: Leodian wrote: sirjohn wrote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/farouqtaj/ ... 16/Someone begs to differ... (not me) Could the blue post box be for airmail as suggested ? In the comments in the webpage in the Flickr website that is brought up by that link there is one from a 'chrisma5803' that shows a blue post box in Leeds. That image is currently said to have been taken "7 hours ago" but it is the same photo that I took on November 19 2010 and used in my post on page 1 (if you compare it will be seen to be exactly the same photo). I do not mind the photo I took being used but 'chrisma5803' should not have posted it without stating that he/she did not take it. At least a credit to me (Leodian) and the Secret Leeds website should have been given. I am not a member of Flickr so I cannot post a comment there.Thanks sirjohn for that link, which I would otherwise have not known about. i have posted comment for you on the site,hope you don't mindDid you ask the copyright owners permission to post?/??,he posts on a forumI visit and he is not best pleased ! Thanks dogduke. It just did not seem worth it for me to join Flickr just to add a comment, so thanks for that you have added there. If requested (through this SL thread) I would have had no objection to the photo I took being used on the Flickr site, but as permission had not been requested at least an acknowledgement could have been given.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

My apologies for the kafuffle. It was me who nicked the pic to show the other feller that his wasn't the only blue box. I would have asked but I was in a rush today. I have credited Leodian with taking the pic now. Sorry.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Chrism wrote: My apologies for the kafuffle. It was me who nicked the pic to show the other feller that his wasn't the only blue box. I would have asked but I was in a rush today. I have credited Leodian with taking the pic now. Sorry. Hi Chrism. Thanks for your apology, which I'm very happy to accept. It's nice of you to do so and also crediting the photo to me. When I first saw the photo I thought some cheeky person (or words to that effect! ) was trying to pass off my photo as one taken by that person. I appreciate that was never your intent and that you posted it in all innocence. Cheers.