oldest post box in leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
big s

Post by big s »

is this the oldest post box in leeds? it is no longer in use but it is still in place.it is outside the george street entrance of the lgi.
at least until the world stops going round.

simonm

Post by simonm »

How do you date a post box?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

simonm wrote: How do you date a post box? Chocolate, flowers, wine? the usual way i guess

simonm

Post by simonm »

FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: How do you date a post box? Chocolate, flowers, wine? the usual way i guess Why spend all that expense, just get em drunk. Works for Farnleybirds I hear
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

simonm wrote: FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: How do you date a post box? Chocolate, flowers, wine? the usual way i guess Why spend all that expense, just get em pi%%ed. Works for Farnleybirds I hear I don't even go to the expense of that, my good looks and charm normally work. (Or the shotgun i take "on the pull")In answer though the VR on the postbox is Victoria Regina, and as i'm sure you are aware means that it was put in when Vicky was on the throne. Oldest one i've seen before was a GR but i can't remember where.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: How do you date a post box? Chocolate, flowers, wine? the usual way i guess Why spend all that expense, just get em pi%%ed. Works for Farnleybirds I hear I don't even go to the expense of that, my good looks and charm normally work. (Or the shotgun i take "on the pull")In answer though the VR on the postbox is Victoria Regina, and as i'm sure you are aware means that it was put in when Vicky was on the throne. Oldest one i've seen before was a GR but i can't remember where. If it wasa GR then it must have been from after Victora, could have been a George V or George VI. Think the ones that have a "GR" in that kind of lettering are George V and the fancy letters are George VI. Rare ones are Edward VII ones, there is one near Roundhay think it may be on Sutherland Avenue, as he was only on the throne for 7 or so years. Is it possible to see how many different Victoria postboxes people can find?I know of one on Shadwell Lane, I'll try to get a pic later.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

There used to be rare Edward VIII post box on Stanningley Road next to the Pavilion cinema until recently. Sadly gone now.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Inquirer wrote: There used to be rare Edward VIII post box on Stanningley Road next to the Pavilion cinema until recently. Sadly gone now. Oh no! Wonder where that went. That would have looked good in my garden!

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

LS1 wrote: Inquirer wrote: There used to be rare Edward VIII post box on Stanningley Road next to the Pavilion cinema until recently. Sadly gone now. Oh no! Wonder where that went. That would have looked good in my garden! :-) it's probably looking good in someone else's garden right now!!I think that some of the oldest ones are the ones built into walls like the one you pictured and not the traditional pillar boxes. There's one at the top of churwell hill i think but i can't remember what the letters are.

simonm

Post by simonm »

There used to be one at Hill top in Armley, but sadly long gone now a days!! Never knew the age of it mind.