oldest post box in leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
bigpants

Post by bigpants »

the original (Gilbert Scott) LGI building was opened in 1868 so regardless of the monarch it couldnt be earlier than that.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

bigpants wrote: the original (Gilbert Scott) LGI building was opened in 1868 so regardless of the monarch it couldnt be earlier than that. Sine the postal service was introduced in 1840 there will certainly be none before then. Not sure when the fisrt postboxes as we know them arrived though.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

There you go - everything you wanted to know about post boxes but were afraid to ask!http://www.glencall.co.uk/1gi/history-o ... box.htmlor http://www.lbsg.org/
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Spotted 2 GR wall boxes on Saturday and i now think i saw a VR wall box too! will check it out this week as i only got a fleeting glimpse as i drove by! Not letting on where just yet, don't wanna be beaten to the punch!!
Love a Landrover

jf

Post by jf »

Now I know where Dangermouse's assistant got their name from!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

There's a George V box in Crossgates opposite the Manston (Barnbow as it is now) pub!! I'll get a pic this weekend!
Love a Landrover

Si

Post by Si »

There's an octagonal (hexagonal?) VR box in Ilkley, but I suppose that doesn't count!

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

There is a GR one in the wall of a back to back house in Bramley on Warrels Road.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Hexagonal postboxes VR are very rare!There are a lot of GR ones as there were the successive George V and George VI kings, over a long period of time. The rare ones are the Edward VII ones as he only ruled as king for about 9 years.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

[quotenick="LS1"]Hexagonal postboxes VR are very rare!There are a lot of GR ones as there were the successive George V and George VI kings, over a long period of time....But the style of the lettering is different...apparently
Love a Landrover