Are these two of the oldest benches in leeds ?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

http://goo.gl/maps/TTHG0I dont think you can see it from this view but on the sides of these iron benches is a date of 186xby the armley trust or something when i pass it next ill get more info but these are at least 140 years old wondered if anyone has seen them before?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Not denying what they say but they don't look that old.... Look to be made of some sort of pressed steel?

polo

Post by polo »

They are rusted to hell like ivce seen them up close and to be fair they do look old google earth dosent do it much justice

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

They're old cast iron supports.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Cardiarms wrote: They're old cast iron supports. Would be good to see them up close. You may well be right polo.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

IIRC they've got the foundry name cast in them.

polo

Post by polo »

It says Trustees of armley privilege ground 1867 on both sides and its just the left bench not both of them and ive looked all over theres no foundry name to be seen

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The Leeds Tithe map project site shows the various plots that made up the Privilege ground.it was owned by the church from the looks of it. On looking further,I find it was the old Armley Moor which was a privilege ground for putting up tenters for cloth manufacture.These must have been part of it and left over after it was finally built on.Fascinating bit of history.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!