2 old mile posts near Weardley.

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Like Jon and LS1 I also recall the white cat on posts. If I had not first seen the posts about the cat and had been asked I would have unhesitatingly said they were in the Weardley area. I walk occasionally in the area but do not however recall seeing them now for a while, so perhaps they have been removed or just faded a lot.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

One was definitely here... on the corner where Eccup Lane goes south-west.http://goo.gl/maps/Tmf2PIt was visible on the left hand side of the road coming in a southerly direction.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

funny that, I do recall it (having feline loyalties) but had not noticed that it was no longer there.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

another view ,this is definitely the stone referred to earlier:http://www.dijitalimaj.com/alamyDetail. ... C2A03%7Dso you weren't dreaming folks!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Steve Jones wrote: is this what you meant?http://www.yorkshiredailyphoto.com/2009 ... shire.html Yes well done for finding that Steve! Thats definetely one of the stones with the cat painted on them. Although I am certain there was more than one because one had 'I love baby lion' painted on and I'm sure there was another white cat with multi-coloured stars painted on it. I dont remember the exact location other than it was along the lower end of Eccup Lane towards Weardley. We are definetely through the looking glass here people!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I've found the stone gate post with the cat on it in Google Maps Street View! see:https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Weardl ... ,,1,14.82I think that will show you the streetview image of the stone fence post with the cat painting. If it doesnt you and you want to see it then you need to be about a 1/4 of a mile back from the northern end of eccup lane looking on the left hand side of Eccup Lane heading north and the stone fence post with painted cat is in an entrance to a field just before the road takes a sharpish left hand turn. On the satellite view there is a silver looking car right next to the field entrance where you can find the cat. So I guess this one is there, or was whenever they did the last Google street view pictures. Here is the pic I grabbed from Google streetview:
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jonThat is weird (ley) I'd have bet a tenner it was at the junction to the old Tadcaster Turnpike. Unless it's been moved.psgoogle view tip: (taught to me by leodian)to stop the screen going massive wideclick the short url then copy - see pick
Attachments
__TFMF_2g2tpqmutas2ys45f2c1md55_a37fa5ce-b768-405c-8f4f-5566cbaf2319_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2g2tpqmutas2ys45f2c1md55_a37fa5ce-b768-405c-8f4f-5566cbaf2319_0_main.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 4521 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I now know why I've not seen that cat for a while as I've not walked on that stretch of Eccup Lane for at least a couple of years, as I've gone down the wonderfully named Bedlam Lane to come onto Rawden Hill road (as I did on April 23) and then on by Weardley and beyond. PS. There were quite a number of Red Kites around, including at least 6 over Weardley. They are a gorgeous sight.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I agree Leodian, I could have sworn thats where the painted cat was at the junction of the old turnpike, on the left hand side as you were heading south, maybe there is another one there too as I'm certain there was more than just the one. I know they breed the red kites on the Harewood Estate, I think individual pairs have been moving out for the past few years, where I live in West Park there are a couple of pairs to be seen virtually everytime I look up.