2 old mile posts near Weardley.

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There are two old mile posts at the junction of Eccup Lane and Weardley Lane roads and the High Weardley Lane track. The wording on both is very eroded but is not that bad on the post on the left where Eccup Lane meets (or becomes) Weardley Lane. I have attached a photo (taken today, April 23 2013) of the least eroded side of that post, which has a hand pointing sign and the wording "Eccup 1 Mile" and "Addle 3 Miles", along with a Bench Mark (BM).On wondering how old the posts are I found that 2 posts are marked there on an 1890-1893 map and on a 1908 map, but the wording given on the maps is not the same for the least eroded post (the map does though indicate it has a BM) so I wonder if it may not be the original post despite its Addle spelling for what is now Adel.I would be grateful if anyone has any information about those mile posts. I suspect they have been the topic of a SL thread in the past (or have had mentions in threads) but I could not find anything on a Google search of SL (my searching may be poor though). I shall post a 1908 map in my next post here.
Attachments
__TFMF_g1d3ei455i2cjy55h2pqc5ja_44a65441-2eea-40f3-be65-f0379edfbde0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_g1d3ei455i2cjy55h2pqc5ja_44a65441-2eea-40f3-be65-f0379edfbde0_0_main.jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have attached the 1908 1 to 2500 map that shows the location of the 2 mile posts. An 1890-1893 map had the same but its print definition was less good. On each map it states for the post on the left "Eccup 1 Otley 6¼" and that there is a Bench Mark whose height is at 261.3 (that will probably be feet) and that on the other pillar it states "Harewood Bridge 1¼ Harewood 2".I wonder if anyone knows anything about the 'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)' that is on High Weardley Lane? I understand that lane was once part of the turnpike road that went to Harewood, so the chapel may perhaps have once stood by an important road. I've not walked on the lane so I wonder if parts of the chapel are still standing or has it all been demolished.    
Attachments
__TFMF_mep2gebxblgl0lfqw0t25xzv_66f46db2-9940-44a7-91ee-b359d761b27a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mep2gebxblgl0lfqw0t25xzv_66f46db2-9940-44a7-91ee-b359d761b27a_0_main.jpg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 6416 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Chapelhttp://www.panoramio.com/photo/22914680Suspect it's residential now. Possibly part of the estate's village which I think was 'moved' from near where the church remains.That was the main Tadcaster Rd until sent down Harewood Bank when the 'new' house was built late 1700's I think.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Chapelhttp://www.panoramio.com/photo/22914680Suspect it's residential now. Possibly part of the estate's village which I think was 'moved' from near where the church remains.That was the main Tadcaster Rd until sent down Harewood Bank when the 'new' house was built late 1700's I think.[edit]the lane is an estate road rather than public, but if you did get lost it would bring you out onto the public footpath by the Officeshttp://goo.gl/maps/dV9BU (a pal lived there).

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I wonder if any of those old stone posts were removed in Southern England during WW2?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

too heavy

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

It'll have the Tour de France go past it next year as well, they go through the Harewood estate.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

simong

Post by simong »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I wonder if any of those old stone posts were removed in Southern England during WW2? They were if possible, or obscured if it wasn't. Wikipedia says with cement, but I think I've read that others were covered in tar or painted out.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I like that post Phill of a post that had on it a 'To First Aid Post' sign. Cheers Jogon for the info about the chapel.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Leodian wrote: There are two old mile posts at the junction of Eccup Lane and Weardley Lane roads and the High Weardley Lane track. The wording on both is very eroded but is not that bad on the post on the left where Eccup Lane meets (or becomes) Weardley Lane. I have attached a photo (taken today, April 23 2013) of the least eroded side of that post, which has a hand pointing sign and the wording "Eccup 1 Mile" and "Addle 3 Miles", along with a Bench Mark (BM).On wondering how old the posts are I found that 2 posts are marked there on an 1890-1893 map and on a 1908 map, but the wording given on the maps is not the same for the least eroded post (the map does though indicate it has a BM) so I wonder if it may not be the original post despite its Addle spelling for what is now Adel.I would be grateful if anyone has any information about those mile posts. I suspect they have been the topic of a SL thread in the past (or have had mentions in threads) but I could not find anything on a Google search of SL (my searching may be poor though). I shall post a 1908 map in my next post here. The post looks original to me- its not easy to fake something like that without it being obvious, and why would anyone bother anyway? I suspect the benchmark is a later addition. The old spelling of Adel is well documented - showing that the pronounciation of the name hasn't changed over time although the spelling has.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.