Lee Gap Horse Fair

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
claireblue

Post by claireblue »

Just got back from Lee Gap horse fair that was on in West Ardsley today. Thought I would post an old video from you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eK4FvheJILee Gap is the oldest chartered horse fair in the country. Gypsies and Irish Travellers still come from all over the country, nothing much changes from this video, will try and post some pics I took today too.    

book

Post by book »

How long is it on for?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Just on for today I believe, saw them going home tonight
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

book

Post by book »

Missed it, I'll have to try and remember the Sept horse fair. Thought it might have been on for the Bank Hol weekend.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

buffaloskinner wrote: Just on for today I believe, saw them going home tonight There's 2.1st lee Gap then 2nd fair few weeks later.Don't ask me why,been that way for years.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

yeah 2nd is called Latter Lee, same thing, maybe a bit smaller, still worth a trip out. My only warning is to look out for the horse and traps speeding past you, you can't walk around in a world of your own! :-)

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

Latter Lee is 17th Sep, here is a piece from The Morley Observer from today, which, considering their general anti Traveller stance seems very fair and informative."It is thought fairs may have been held in the area even longer than that as the land next to Tingley roundabout was used as a Viking wapentake, or parliament.The original charter allowed for two three-day fairs at Woodkirk and in days gone by they were an important date in the calendar for wool and cloth merchants from across Europe.After the dissolution of the monasteries, much of the land in Woodkirk, and the right to hold fairs, was brought by a Dr Lee who gave his name to the fair.In 1752 England adopted the modern calendar and since then the First of Lee is always held on August 24 and Latter Lee on September 17, unless one of those dates falls on a Sunday, in which case the fair is held over until Monday".    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

somme1916 wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Just on for today I believe, saw them going home tonight There's 2.1st lee Gap then 2nd fair few weeks later.Don't ask me why,been that way for years. The fair used to last three weeks. Today was "first o' Lee" and as you say on Sept 14 th it'll be "Latter Lee" I used to live in West Ardsley - all pubs used to shut during Lee Fair - presumably because there'd been trouble. Funny really because when I was a kid they all used to apply for licence extensions.The fair's first charter was from "The Abbot of Wodekirk"