A narrow passage off Briggate that leads to the wider passage that has the Packhorse pub.

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Leodian wrote: Chrism wrote: This is one of the alley's that mysteriously move now and again the other is the Ship alleyway. This is a photo I took on October 18 2010 of the Blue Plaque in the Packhorse Yard near to Lands Lane. The plaque notes that the Packhorse Yard used to be called the Slip Inn Yard. Better than you might think Leodian - click on th picture to enlarge and it's quite clear. I had originally apologised in my post for what I thought was poor definition of the lettering in my photo of the plaque, being due to my camera not being very good at closeup shots. I subsequently decided to edit that out, but that could easily have been missed if only my original post had been read. I apologise to chameleon for any confusion I may have inadvertently caused.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: Leodian wrote: Chrism wrote: This is one of the alley's that mysteriously move now and again the other is the Ship alleyway. This is a photo I took on October 18 2010 of the Blue Plaque in the Packhorse Yard near to Lands Lane. The plaque notes that the Packhorse Yard used to be called the Slip Inn Yard. Better than you might think Leodian - click on th picture to enlarge and it's quite clear. I had originally apologised in my post for what I thought was poor definition of the lettering in my photo of the plaque, being due to my camera not being very good at closeup shots. I subsequently decided to edit that out, but that could easily have been missed if only my original post had been read. I apologise to chameleon for any confusion I may have inadvertently caused. No confusion really and certainly no need to apologise - not everyone realises that clicking on an attached photo enlarges it - this time revealing the very clear text of your find

Ben Ridding

Post by Ben Ridding »

One of my great great great grandfathers was a cobbler down this alley and also down the Ship Inn Yard, between about 1840 and 1860. So they were very busy passage ways. I presume all the buildings of that period have been knocked down and rebuilt. But to their credit the passage ways have remained, perhaps because the pubs wanted to keep the original access from the yards. I walked down both the alleys this morning because of the family connection.    

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Ben Ridding. Welcome to Secret Leeds.There's a fair amount of info on the yards of Briggate on this site, but unfortunately, the search facility isn't great. If you hunt around, I'm sure you'll find something of interest.However, these yards (or lanes/loins - hence Leeds "Loiners") go back to medieval times. Kirkgate was the original heart of Leeds, but when Briggate (Bridge Street) was laid out, the properties facing onto it had strips of land behind attached to them, known as burgage plots. These strips of land had ginnels/snickets/yards running between them for access. Although the properties have probably been knocked down and rebuilt many times over the years, these ancient rights of way still exist today. Many became named after the pubs which were built on them - such as Ship Inn Yard, Pack Horse Yard, Turk's Head Yard (and many others.) Before the advent of mass transport, when everyone walked everywhere, these yards would have been very busy, as you rightly say.Hope this is of interest.Cheers,Si.            

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Ben Ridding wrote: One of my great great great grandfathers was a cobbler down this alley and also down the Ship Inn Yard, between about 1840 and 1860. So they were very busy passage ways. I presume all the buildings of that period have been knocked down and rebuilt. But to their credit the passage ways have remained, perhaps because the pubs wanted to keep the original access from the yards. I walked down both the alleys this morning because of the family connection.     By no means will all of those buildings have been demolished, a surprising amount survive
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Ben Ridding

Post by Ben Ridding »

Hello SiThanks for your welcome and information. I did not realise the term Loiner came from these yards. Actually I've walked past them without even seeing them! I had not thought about right of ways. I would be fascinated to see a detailed map of the Pack Horse Yard and Ship Inn Yard from the mid nineteenth century with house numbers on. My people's first appearance on the census was at Woodhouse, then the Yards and eventually Holbeck, Hunslet and Beeston. My daughter did a work experience recently in the city centre, fascinating to think 180 years ago one of ours was working down those alleys.

Si

Post by Si »

Hello again. This origin of the term Loiner, is just one of several theories. I guess we'll never know the real origin.This is an 1847 map of Briggate, showing the yards. Unfortunately, the house numbers are not marked, and I can't remember when house numbering first started. Perhaps Drapesy might know?(PS - Click on the image to enlarge.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_fcjdgnvpro2ks3fiqsl5vuzs_570c9b8c-e89a-48b6-bd34-d0be435f2458_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fcjdgnvpro2ks3fiqsl5vuzs_570c9b8c-e89a-48b6-bd34-d0be435f2458_0_main.jpg (271.16 KiB) Viewed 3473 times

Si

Post by Si »

This is the south end of Briggate.
Attachments
__TFMF_fcjdgnvpro2ks3fiqsl5vuzs_50fca1b7-688f-4aa5-a72e-922de0efa752_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fcjdgnvpro2ks3fiqsl5vuzs_50fca1b7-688f-4aa5-a72e-922de0efa752_0_main.jpg (186.18 KiB) Viewed 3473 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Those are fascinating maps Si. Thanks for them.It's interesting just how many passageways there were off Briggate. Some are still around but some seem not to be. I wonder though if small parts of some may still remain but hidden away being totally built around with no access?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Ben Ridding

Post by Ben Ridding »

Thanks again. Very interesting. I am in Leeds Saturday and will look with new interest at these alleyways.