Bomb explosion at Pound Stretchers?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Earl of Leeds

Post by Earl of Leeds »

Hi all,When i was young i was in Leeds with my mother when we heard a loud bang then were informed a bomb had gone off at poundstretchers near the market where it used to be. Can anyone shed any light on this, if it actually happened at all (cos sometimes i remember things that never happened ha ha) and if so what was it about and who did it?
Ever in the search of answers

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

If it was in the 80s it was the I R A.I remember a bombing campaign in and around leeds city centre.If i remember right there was 3 bombings around the market area in one day .Only small ones i must add, think a few shops got a bit burnt.    

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Yes i remember it.the place was totally trashed................I think the total damage bill was something like £12.99 lol No actually i do seem to remember some fire bombs going off around kitkgate but i dont think it was the IRA.Also it was more in the 90's than the 80's.That cheap shop next to the bus stop that used to sell all sorts of stuff got burnt down.I stand to be corrected but i think it was something to do with the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The bomb was in a sort of general store,which sold items similar to poundstretcher.It was immediateley adjacent to the all you can eat chinese buffet oppositethe Scotsman.Not sure what it isnow but it was shut for a good while (not because of the bomb that is)    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

It was the INLA ive managed to track a little bit of info down here http://snipurl.com/1bc0xabut...........No bomb @ poundstretchers?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Brandy wrote: It was the INLA ive managed to track a little bit of info down here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/tw ... 08873.html Good find mate,wonder if they are still banged up.Hope so,cos they made me miss my number 15 home the day after,the bus stop was right outside!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Earl of Leeds

Post by Earl of Leeds »

Really good find, love this website, theres always someone who knows something about everything in Leeds. Cheers guys
Ever in the search of answers

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I was in Manchester on the Saturday that the bomb went off in the City Centre, believe me that you would have known it was a bomb and not an incendry device.I was just half a mile away from the explosion and every building around me rocked and windows bulged like tissue paper.It is not an experience that I ever want to repeat.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

Was the shop called 'STOP 'N' SHOP'?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

buffaloskinner wrote: I was in Manchester on the Saturday that the bomb went off in the City Centre, believe me that you would have known it was a bomb and not an incendry device.I was just half a mile away from the explosion and every building around me rocked and windows bulged like tissue paper.It is not an experience that I ever want to repeat. I heard that bomb go off in Leeds - I wason the phone to a guy at Mamchester Vic station at the time.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.