Churches and Castles

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

There was also a Roman fort where Harper Farm is now, just of Whitehall Road as you come into New Farnley.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Not sure where i've seen it but from what i remember there was a wooden motte and bailey castle in Armley in an area appropriatly called castle hill. if memory serves it was in between armley jail and the railway/armley road. Also don't forget Rothwell castle. There is also Harewood castle in the grounds of Harewood house (still part of leeds i believe) and also Kyme castle not far from that.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Yes, Harewood castle dates from 1366, when Sir William Aldeburgh was granted his "licence to crenellate". Now that the leaves are coming back onto the trees it will disappear from view for another year, only the tops of the walls being visible.It is tucked away in a corner of the Harewood estate. I was tempted out there a little while ago and got the bus out to Harewood (£1.60 from the bus station, very reasonable).The picture shows the inside, an old fireplace taking centre stage. It's also possible to make out the remains of the barrel vaulted basement.There are some more pics online here
Attachments
__TFMF_dxhtp3mvnuf0rj55qhqyyfzc_d354a38b-a23d-4ee1-9cf8-e569e998950c_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_dxhtp3mvnuf0rj55qhqyyfzc_d354a38b-a23d-4ee1-9cf8-e569e998950c_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 2588 times

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

rikj wrote: Yes, Harewood castle dates from 1366, when Sir William Aldeburgh was granted his "licence to crenellate". Now that the leaves are coming back onto the trees it will disappear from view for another year, only the tops of the walls being visible.It is tucked away in a corner of the Harewood estate. Oh, the members of the public aren't meant to go near or enter the castle nowadays. "It is on private land and is structurally unsafe" says the Harewood website. But i do remember them being granted cash for repair work and i even remember the scaffolding on it. Is it actually open to the public now?news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/1642476.stm
Simon -H-

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

King Alfred's Castle at the top of Stonegate Road was built in 1760 by Jeremiah Dixon. It was a folly dedicated to the memory of Alfred the Great and was demolished in the early sixties.It bore the inscription:To the Memory ofAlfred the GreatThe Pious and MagnanimousThe friend ofScience, Virtue, Law and LibertyThis MonumentJeremiah Dixon of AllertonGledhow caused to be erectedMDCCLX
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simon2710 wrote: rikj wrote: Yes, Harewood castle dates from 1366, when Sir William Aldeburgh was granted his "licence to crenellate". Now that the leaves are coming back onto the trees it will disappear from view for another year, only the tops of the walls being visible.It is tucked away in a corner of the Harewood estate. Oh, the members of the public aren't meant to go near or enter the castle nowadays. "It is on private land and is structurally unsafe" says the Harewood website. But i do remember them being granted cash for repair work and i even remember the scaffolding on it. Is it actually open to the public now?news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/1642476.stm The Leeds gentlemans exploration society have many friends in high places Simon.. Don't worry :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

simon2710 wrote: rikj wrote: Yes, Harewood castle dates from 1366, when Sir William Aldeburgh was granted his "licence to crenellate". Now that the leaves are coming back onto the trees it will disappear from view for another year, only the tops of the walls being visible.It is tucked away in a corner of the Harewood estate. Oh, the members of the public aren't meant to go near or enter the castle nowadays. "It is on private land and is structurally unsafe" says the Harewood website. But i do remember them being granted cash for repair work and i even remember the scaffolding on it. Is it actually open to the public now?news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/1642476.stm I've been there too many years ago, it's a wonderful place to see, but you have to be very careful not to get caught by anyone inc the Rozzers.I wonder did you go up the steps? I think I think I had to challenge my way around rubble and all sorts, and there was a Iron gate of some sorts which lead to the stairs it self, they were kind of a winding step up to what would of been the next floor, and the view was stunning over looking the main road and fields and hills for many miles.
Ay up

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Some of you were looking for old churches and buildings in Leeds and surrounding area.Well there is a wonderful little Church call Mary St Lead, or the nickname"ramblers church" as it is in a middle of a sheep field, built apx early to mid 11c it' a wonderful place to visit if your coming from Leeds then go through Aberford towards Lotherton hall you'll come to a junction and lotherton hall is strate ahead, you need to turn left and keep driveing for apx 1-2 miles and on your right hand side the is a pub called the Crooked Billet inn use that car park and strate a cross the road you should be able to see the little church you can walk across the field, and let your self in. I think it could be part of Leeds by proxy it has a Leeds postcode.Leeds dose have some remains of very very old buildings some in Crossgates, Alwoodley. and there is quite a few Neolithic sites in and around Leeds and Roman too.
Ay up

jasco

Post by jasco »

If I remember correctly, there used to be a village called Lead where the Crooked Billet pub is. The pub is supposed to be the only remaining building from this village. All other signs of it are now gone.

simonm

Post by simonm »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Not sure where i've seen it but from what i remember there was a wooden motte and bailey castle in Armley in an area appropriatly called castle hill. if memory serves it was in between armley jail and the railway/armley road. Having lived in the area for a long time I can't say as I have ever heard that, would love to hear more. Not heard of castle hill, but there is castleton road, across the railway lines, going into an industrial estate. However, many years ago that was wilson Matheson, an engineering works and during the wars a munitions factory.Next to Gloucester terrace (the road leading to the main gate of Armley jail) now has a small industrial units on it, but years ago stood the original castelton school. Prior to the prison being buit and everything else there quite possibly stood a M+B castle!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"