Bomb Damage

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Also it should be remembered that not all raids were on military targets - but were just designed to kill and ' break the spirit' of civilians. Much of the London blitz comes under this category and there were the so-called 'Beidicke' raids[I think that's how its spelt] on cities like York, Bath, Oxford etc that were designed to destroy historic buildings and so 'sap morale'.Like ScandyBramley I'd like to say thanks for sharing these memories - it seems almost unbelievable to those of us from later generations that these things happened.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

farbank

Post by farbank »

You're welcome.! But the term for the 'Beidekker' [excuse MY spelling] raids, came about , was when it was discovered at a later date during the war. That ALL the German luftwaffe town plans of the UK, came from that very same, famous at the time, series of travel books. Obtainable at all leading bookstores etc.Which obligingly also, showed the tourists where the Industrial areas were. So they could be avoided.Apparently, early on we knocked hell out of the Black Forest, and really gave it to a herd of wild boar.                                        

Tyke_bhoys wife

Post by Tyke_bhoys wife »

cnosni wrote: My Grandad served in the navy in world War one,saw action at the Battle of Jutland on HMS Caroline (still a commisioned Royal Naval vessel,2nd oldest in the Navy,3rd oldest in the world and only surviving Warship left from Jutland though only now a floating office for the Royal Naval reserve in Northern Ireland. Hi cnosni - I too served on the Caroline. I'm proud to say that prior to joining the RN full time I was a member of the RNR and spent many a happy hour on board. Although when I left the RNR in 1983 it was much more than a floating office.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Tyke_bhoys wife wrote: Hi cnosni - I too served on the Caroline. I'm proud to say that prior to joining the RN full time I was a member of the RNR and spent many a happy hour on board. Although when I left the RNR in 1983 it was much more than a floating office. OY - shoun't tha be getting yer bloke's tea ready or summat? What is this forum coming to, wi' posters letting their chuffin' wives in now? JOKING, luv - and welcome! Your post is so very typical of this forum - bringing similar memories and situations together from total strangers and proving that the world is indeed a small place.POWER to Secret Leeds!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Scandy Bramley wrote: OY - shoun't tha be getting yer bloke's tea ready or summat? What is this forum coming to, wi' posters letting their chuffin' wives in now? You have room to talk when yer da's on here too . I made tonights tea but as I usually get home just before our 5yo's bed time I made it last night Scandy Bramley wrote: JOKING, luv - and welcome! Your post is so very typical of this forum - bringing similar memories and situations together from total strangers and proving that the world is indeed a small place.POWER to Secret Leeds! Hail to that
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Tyke_bhoys wife

Post by Tyke_bhoys wife »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Tyke_bhoys wife wrote: Hi cnosni - I too served on the Caroline. I'm proud to say that prior to joining the RN full time I was a member of the RNR and spent many a happy hour on board. Although when I left the RNR in 1983 it was much more than a floating office. OY - shoun't tha be getting yer bloke's tea ready or summat? What is this forum coming to, wi' posters letting their chuffin' wives in now? JOKING, luv - and welcome! Your post is so very typical of this forum - bringing similar memories and situations together from total strangers and proving that the world is indeed a small place.POWER to Secret Leeds! Hi Scandy, thank you for such a warm welcome! I'm not a native of Yorkshire so I find Secret Leeds very interesting, its a wonderful way to learn about where we live, whats happening now and the hidden past. By the way in this house its the old man who is chained to the cooker he looks a treat in his apron!

Si

Post by Si »

I have two aerial vertical photos of the Armley Gaol area, taken by the RAF on 28th March 1948. They appear to show what looks to be bomb damage in several areas. Two gasholders are missing (circular marks on the ground) and there's a large flattened area behind Crown House. There's also some roofless buildings around the gaol itself. The prints are about 12"X14" and show loads of detail. It's amazing how few cars are on the roads! If someone could tell me how to put them on the site, I will.CheersSi (new to this computer malarchy!)PS I was told the RAF took thousands of similar overlapping pictures of every major city in the UK, and that they were "stereoscopic." Something to do with national security?

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

farbank wrote: You're welcome.! But the term for the 'Beidekker' [excuse MY spelling] raids, came about , was when it was discovered at a later date during the war. That ALL the German luftwaffe town plans of the UK, came from that very same, famous at the time, series of travel books. Obtainable at all leading bookstores etc.Which obligingly also, showed the tourists where the Industrial areas were. So they could be avoided.Apparently, early on we knocked hell out of the Black Forest, and really gave it to a herd of wild boar.                                         That's a nice story, but not totally accurate. The 'Baedeker raids' came about because the RAF attacked the historic German towns of Lubeck and Rostock. Neither had any serious military value and were picked because they were easy to find at night and were susceptible to fire-bombing. Basically - they were easy to destroy, so they were destroyed.The Baedeker raids were the German response - they deliberately picked historic towns like Bath and Exeter to attack in retaliation, hence the name - they picked places of historic note that might be featured in guidebooks.
"This is the North. We do what we like."

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I dont know if this has been mentioned on here before, but there is an area in Leeds city centre that still shows alleged signs of bomb damage.Going up east Parade towards Millenium Square at the Junction with the Headrow there is a small parapet on the corner of Victoria Gardens, diagonally opposite from where the Greggs is.If you look closely there are some pockmarks in the stone that was caused by a WWII bomb. apparently this was something to do with the one that fell close to the Museum further down Park Row but not entirely convinced. Not even sure a bomb dropped in this location but I do seemto remember reading that there was one and this was the lasting result!

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

LS1 wrote: I dont know if this has been mentioned on here before, but there is an area in Leeds city centre that still shows alleged signs of bomb damage.Going up east Parade towards Millenium Square at the Junction with the Headrow there is a small parapet on the corner of Victoria Gardens, diagonally opposite from where the Greggs is.If you look closely there are some pockmarks in the stone that was caused by a WWII bomb. apparently this was something to do with the one that fell close to the Museum further down Park Row but not entirely convinced. Not even sure a bomb dropped in this location but I do seemto remember reading that there was one and this was the lasting result! A bomb did fall on the museum in Park Row during World War ll , the evidence was there into the late 1950s .
roundhegian