Bomb Damage

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

keyholekate wrote: Hi Parksider. . .I wonder if you have any old photos of Belmont Grove? I have good reason to be very interested . . hope that you can help. My old mother may have the odd shot of soeone on the doorstep of number 2 in her dads album (he was in he leeds Camera club but didn't do much in the way of streets)Si's found a good one, it may be that building at the top of the street survives.Belmont Grove was built either side of the carriageway to Belle Mount a Georgian Mansion shown in Beresfords book on leeds housing.The old cobbled drive from Park Square ran past Belle Mount on it's way to other mansions several of which survive amongs the later victorian housing. Behind Belmont Grove (the bit that's left) is Chorley Lane which looks like a back street but was that carriage drive.I have found shots of the lower end of Belmont Grove but only on ariel photos so the images are distant and blurred. What's your interest here Kate?

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The Parksider wrote: keyholekate wrote: Hi Parksider. . .I wonder if you have any old photos of Belmont Grove? I have good reason to be very interested . . hope that you can help. My old mother may have the odd shot of soeone on the doorstep of number 2 in her dads album (he was in he leeds Camera club but didn't do much in the way of streets)Si's found a good one, it may be that building at the top of the street survives.Belmont Grove was built either side of the carriageway to Belle Mount a Georgian Mansion shown in Beresfords book on leeds housing.The old cobbled drive from Park Square ran past Belle Mount on it's way to other mansions several of which survive amongs the later victorian housing. Behind Belmont Grove (the bit that's left) is Chorley Lane which looks like a back street but was that carriage drive.I have found shots of the lower end of Belmont Grove but only on ariel photos so the images are distant and blurred. What's your interest here Kate? Hi Parksider. . one of those houses on Belmont Grove has become my workplace. . .all of us often wonder what life was like in another time when all the factories were busy and as you know there are lots of mansions nearby too.Would love to see any old photos. Another thing too in 1955 my mothers job certificate says "engineers tester,31 Clarendon Road. . .I am interested to know what she did there.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4.33,,0,13    

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Si wrote: 16 - 18 Belmont Grove, 1963, from Leodis. There are a couple of others. Thank you Si. . Im not sure but I think the building on the left is still up there?

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

A guy I work with used to work in that building on Clarendon Road in the 70's. He said it was a chartered accountants at that point.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Mork of Ork wrote: A guy I work with used to work in that building on Clarendon Road in the 70's. He said it was a chartered accountants at that point. I was born in'42 and I dont know when the Germans bombed Leeds but one was dropped almost opposite our house in Gloucester Ave. Armley Rd. There were 3 people killed in this incident and 3 houses that were adjacent (back to back terr.)had to be demolished.I often wondered if there are any photo's in existance of this site. The family who were killed were called Beaumont ,I think?
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Stutterdog.This is the nearest I could find on Leodis. The caption reads:"Undated. This view of H.M.Prison in Gloucester Terrace is taken from the recreation ground in Oak Road in the late 1940s. Children are visible playing on the slide, swings and roundabout. Oak Road is in the foreground. Armley Prison dates from 1847 and has recently been refurbished. It was still in use as a place of execution until 1960s. The prison accommodates 1254 individuals and there are 680 cells and wards for 55 prisoners."I have an RAF aerial photo of the area, taken on 28th March 1948, which clearly shows a gap in the back-to-backs between Gloucester Avenue and Gloucester Road opposite Castleton School. PS Thanks for that website (fellow) Pudseyite!         
Attachments
__TFMF_ngbiab3s3dwsxl3luurqm0zm_c380c607-6c49-47bd-8e24-4e5ae1a93b0b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ngbiab3s3dwsxl3luurqm0zm_c380c607-6c49-47bd-8e24-4e5ae1a93b0b_0_main.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 3682 times

Si

Post by Si »

This is the block of four that is missing on the photo.
Attachments
__TFMF_ngbiab3s3dwsxl3luurqm0zm_17ece232-1868-47a9-9cc5-51967d34d3a7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ngbiab3s3dwsxl3luurqm0zm_17ece232-1868-47a9-9cc5-51967d34d3a7_0_main.jpg (203.67 KiB) Viewed 3682 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Mork of Ork wrote: A guy I work with used to work in that building on Clarendon Road in the 70's. He said it was a chartered accountants at that point. Hi Mork of Ork,The premises at 31 Clarendon Road used to be a chartered accountants called Alexander, Sagar & Co. Ltd. (Chartered Accountants). I worked there as an audit clerk from 1962 until 1965. The firm was taken over by a bigger company but I do not know who.Ian

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: Hi Stutterdog.This is the nearest I could find on Leodis. The caption reads:"Undated. This view of H.M.Prison in Gloucester Terrace is taken from the recreation ground in Oak Road in the late 1940s. Children are visible playing on the slide, swings and roundabout. Oak Road is in the foreground. Armley Prison dates from 1847 and has recently been refurbished. It was still in use as a place of execution until 1960s. The prison accommodates 1254 individuals and there are 680 cells and wards for 55 prisoners."I have an RAF aerial photo of the area, taken on 28th March 1948, which clearly shows a gap in the back-to-backs between Gloucester Avenue and Gloucester Road opposite Castleton School. PS Thanks for that website (fellow) Pudseyite!          Hello Si,Thanks for that but I think I've seen that photo mentioned before and it does show the gap in the houses. It's an actual photo of the bombed houses I'd like to see! Doesn't look as though one exists, which is surprising considering the loss of life.    
ex-Armley lad

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

keyholekate wrote: Hi Parksider. . one of those houses on Belmont Grove has become my workplace. . . Leodis has three pictures but alas one is of the "backs" and the other two are at the top of the street. I am going to go have another look to se what's left and if those are left.The right hand side of the street was where my grandparents lived and that's gone. On Old-maps there's an 1850 street plan of the time when Belle Mount stood in grounds witha the chorley lane carriageway stretching to Little Woodhouse Hall.By 1891 the mansions were being abandoned and Belmont grove was born - and there's another street plan clearly showing the properties in great outline detail down to the outside toilet block I recall!!Next best to a photo Kate - worth a look.If you walk from the bottom of Belmont grove up clarendon rd there's some sort of world church mission at a very ornate old house - worth a look at that when you are passing