Bomb Damage

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
LS13

Post by LS13 »

I know Leeds didnt suffer as badly as many other large cities during the war, but there were a number of bmobing raids which caused extensive damage. Are there any buildings left in Leeds showing signs of damage from the war? Any buildings which were demolished and are still waste ground or rubble?

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

The Majestyk nightclub on City Square seems to have lots of pock marks on it that I've always assumed was bomb damage - it looks very similar to the war damage you find on a lot of London buildings. If it isn't wartime damage, I'd like to know what caused it!

munki

Post by munki »

The lions outside the Town Hall were quite badly damaged when a bomb hit the middle of the Headrow.Also I believe there is a whole stretch of Belle Vue Road, LS2, where the houses were bombed & replaced.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

I believe some of the kerbstones on the headrow near the town hall show damage.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

On my way home from work last night i took a look and there is quite a bit of damage to the wall on the opposite side of east parade to the town hall and also on the wall under the town hall lion next to east parade.

liits

Post by liits »

The wall that was part of the old Central Station on Wellington St showed quite a few scars from blast damage. [not living in Leeds anymore] I don't know if the wall is still there, it was just before the end of the wall, before you got to the Evening Post building.

south of the river

Post by south of the river »

i was born and raised in Beeston....on rowland rd next to the club is an electric sub station....that still i believe shows signs of bomb or shrapnel damage...A lady was killed as a result of a bomb dropping there...The night it happened the Germans were trying to bomb the gas complex on Meadow lane and jettisoned the bombs they had over....That was 1940 i think..I was born in a house right next door to one that was totally destroyed that same nightCheers all

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

My dad lived at Woodhouse during the war and can just about remember being evacuated following a raid as an unexploded bomb had crashed through into their neighbours cellar severing a water main which flooded every cellar in the street. Fortunately the bomb was defused and removed and they were all allowed back in later on, but apparently my Grandma was less than happy at the mess those pesky Germans had caused!If I remember, I'll ask him what the address was when I see him at the weekend.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Michael

Post by Michael »

I have been told that the south east corner of the Town Hall (corner of Headrow and Calverley Street) was hit by a bomb.Apparently the bomb was one of a load that was jettisoned by a damaged German bomber.The first one fell somewhere on the University campus and the last one on the City museum, which at that time (I believe the year was 1943) stood where HSBC bank is on Park Row.

rikj

Post by rikj »

The excellent leodis site has several pics of bonb damage in Leeds. There are some pics of damaged surface air raid shelters in City Square, so I guess that might account for damage to what was recently Majestyk.I remember looking at a house on Cardigan Road that had been bomb damaged and the repairs seemed to be still faintly visible.