Bomb Damage

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I thought Goering had more expensive tastes.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This item about the bombing of Leeds is quite comprehensive and Similar to Davy's post above -http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 411583.stm    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Very close to here, numbers 4/6/8/10 Cardigan Road were very badly damaged in a raid and, although fully rebuilt, now look slightly different in frontal detail. They are all let as student flats now, and I doubt if the present tenants can have any imagination of what it was like in WW2.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's some owls hiding on those bay windows. I assumed they were original, not so sure now.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi,This is what the YP reported the day after the first raid in 1940Coolness in raids on N.E. Towns Windows in [Quarry Hill] Flats Shattered: [St. Peters] Church Damaged In an industrial area of a North East town bombs fractured a gas main early yesterday morning and started a fire which caused a brilliant blaze until it was quickly subdued. A modern inn [Woodpecker] nearby was severely damaged, and older premises on the opposite side of the road which it replaced were demolished and the ruins set on fire. A lock-up shop nearby was also hit and burnt out.The fronts of a row of shops, with dwellings above, were blown out but only minor injuries were sustained by the occupants. Flying glass caused slight injuries when thousands of window-panes were shattered in a block of [Quarry Hill] flats in the vicinity. [St. Peters] Roman Catholic church, school and presbytery suffered damage. A warehouse was also affected by blast and a cartage office in the yard completely wrecked. In this raid one civilian was killed, and among other casualties was an air-raid warden who lost a leg... The local authority quickly found alternative accommodation for 14 families affected by the damage to the [Quarry Hill] flats and other rendered temporarily homeless. Yorkshire Post, 02/09/40
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

biker71

Post by biker71 »

RFarrell wrote: The Majestyk nightclub on City Square seems to have lots of pock marks on it that I've always assumed was bomb damage - it looks very similar to the war damage you find on a lot of London buildings. If it isn't wartime damage, I'd like to know what caused it! I visited City Square today to try find extant wartime damage and unfortunately the damage to the Majestyk building is " construction and use " I'm afraid, the pock marks are from the removal of various fittings and fixtures, from lamps to awnings etc.I am currently researching wartime Leeds and Bradford so am on the look out for as much information as possible, so if anyone has anything they know of, no matter how significant, please post and let me know.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's that as well. The remaining wall of Marsh lane station has a bit of 'patina'.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

There used to be a shrapnel splash going up the wall close by the YEP, facing Wellington Street. I would imagine the wall is long gone. If I remember correctly it was hidden behind an advertisement hoarding for a long time.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

weenie

Post by weenie »

There is bomb damage to side of Art Gallery Wall facing Town Hall, i asked about this months ago, as it looks like lots of different side holes in the wall, i didnt know what they were, but ive been told its bomb damage.Its the small brick wall where the people play chess on the floor. Will try dig out the picture.

weenie

Post by weenie »

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,1,14.9i hope the link works for google map, its just below the street sign, and ,more round the corner http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,1,13.38I do hope the links work lol