1600's Black Death Burial Site

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:05 am

Caron wrote:
Posted this on another section as I'm new and didn't see this link but plague victims are supposed to be buried in the grassed area alongside Kirkstall Abbey museum. I have seen a big stone near the museum with a carved date on it that relates to the plague, (1600 whatever?). My memory is so bad!

Anyone else heard the same?

There is a replica of the plague stone dated 1666 at the abbey house museum the original is in the leeds museum
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com
Caron
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:34 pm

Postby Caron » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 1:12 pm

cnosni wrote:
Caron wrote:
Posted this on another section as I'm new and didn't see this link but plague victims are supposed to be buried in the grassed area alongside Kirkstall Abbey museum. I have seen a big stone near the museum with a carved date on it that relates to the plague, (1600 whatever?). My memory is so bad!

Anyone else heard the same?

There is a replica of the plague stone dated 1666 at the abbey house museum the original is in the leeds museum


Well....I dint know that!!....What a strange thing to have a replica of! What's the story? Do spill the beans Regular Smiley
User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:49 pm

Caron wrote:
cnosni wrote:
Caron wrote:
Posted this on another section as I'm new and didn't see this link but plague victims are supposed to be buried in the grassed area alongside Kirkstall Abbey museum. I have seen a big stone near the museum with a carved date on it that relates to the plague, (1600 whatever?). My memory is so bad!

Anyone else heard the same?

There is a replica of the plague stone dated 1666 at the abbey house museum the original is in the leeds museum


Well....I dint know that!!....What a strange thing to have a replica of! What's the story? Do spill the beans Regular Smiley

From what i can remember the stone had a hollow in the top,which was filled with vinegar and water.it stood at the edge of the parish in chapel allerton.the idea was that as the town had plague then farmers from outside the town still wishing to sell their goods to the townfolk but not wishing to enter it would bring their produce to chapel allerton.the townsfolk would say what they want and would place the monies in the top of the stone which contained the vinegar and water which itself was somehow going to purify the coins of the plague which the buyer may or may not have.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com
Caron
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:34 pm

Postby Caron » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:38 am

Thanx cnosni. Grateful for the info. Suppose the vinegar was the nearest to antiseptic. Even today vinegar is used for a whole manner of things. It's good for midge bites. Cheers mi dears for your time.

grumpytramp
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby grumpytramp » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:51 am

Phil wrote:
When you travel up Sharpe lane heading into Middleton, Just before crossing the motorway bridge, there is a large mound covered in large rocks in the field on the right . (It has a pylon very close) This I am lead to believe is indeed a burial site for those unfortunate folk of the 1600's who caught the black death. Aparently it has been untouched since this time as no one dare dig it up. Can anyone confirm this or know any other burial sites such as this, in and around Leeds.


Sorry but pound for a penny this is a spoil heap and shaft associated with workings from Rothwell Haigh Colliery.

It isn't recorded on the OS 1:10,560 series survey of 1854, but appears on the 1894 OS 1:2500 survey showing the characteristic shape of a spoil heap

See http://www.old-maps.co.uk

Phil wrote:
I am new to this site but it's cool - I love stuff like this


Of that there is absolutely no doubt ;-)
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 2:47 pm

grumpytramp wrote:
Phil wrote:
When you travel up Sharpe lane heading into Middleton, Just before crossing the motorway bridge, there is a large mound covered in large rocks in the field on the right . (It has a pylon very close) This I am lead to believe is indeed a burial site for those unfortunate folk of the 1600's who caught the black death. Aparently it has been untouched since this time as no one dare dig it up. Can anyone confirm this or know any other burial sites such as this, in and around Leeds.


Sorry but pound for a penny this is a spoil heap and shaft associated with workings from Rothwell Haigh Colliery.

It isn't recorded on the OS 1:10,560 series survey of 1854, but appears on the 1894 OS 1:2500 survey showing the characteristic shape of a spoil heap

See http://www.old-maps.co.uk

Phil wrote:
I am new to this site but it's cool - I love stuff like this


Of that there is absolutely no doubt ;-)


Would have thought more likely to be New Hall colliery which was just about at this stop and appears on my 1950 map(geological map of the Yorkshire Coalfield) 3rd edition ????
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 2:53 pm

p.s. The Cousins pit was also nearby being half way along the junctions of Sharpe Lane and Wood Lane (on the A61) on the left hand side travelling towards Leeds.The Bye pit was almost opposite this pit being on the other(Rothwell)side of the A61,Beeston Colliery(misnomer in that it was actually at Rothwell Haigh) was on the ind est at the end of Wood Lane/A61 junction of course.
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !
majorhoundii
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 6:55 am

Postby majorhoundii » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 4:06 pm

There is some dispute as to whether the Black Death was bubonic plague or something else. But what we know as the Black Death took place around about 1350. It came into Europe from China via the Silk Road, and to Britain on ships. The fleas of the black rat were the carrier. It reduced the popluation of Europe by about 100 million people and caused great social change in this country.
The plague which affected us in 17th centuray was certainly bubonic plague, but the two events are not one in the same.

jonleeds
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 4:59 pm

Postby jonleeds » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 7:52 pm

When Sharpe Lane in Robin Hood was mentioned my ears pricked up, worry to go off topic, but it relates to my previous thread about the alleged 'Atomic Refuge' in the old Robin Hood pit.

I know from previous research that the GPO had a hardened facility just near the junction with Wakefield Road and Sharpe Lane. Is it still there or was it demolished when they built those new-fangled apartments next door?

In my head I was indulging myself that perhaps this 'Atomic Refuge' connected with the GPO facility, but I tend to get carried away. I'd heard that the electricity generating board had a control centre at Becca Hall furthur to the east of Leeds, but this side of Leeds does seem to have a glut of cold-war installations, most which have now gone. There was also the Rothwell buffer site where food and other supplies were stockpiled until the early 90s for the anticipated post-attack period. I believe that was demolished a few years ago.

Also just a few miles furthur along the M62 was one of the last cold-war era bunkers to be updated before the collapse of the Soviet Union. I can remember seeing it when I was a nipper as it was a bright green structure that could be glimpsed from the window of a passing car.

Almost makes you wish that the 'balloon had gone up' doesnt it!?

"Beep Beep Beep Beep! - ATTACK WARNING RED!? - Thats for bloody real isnt it?!!"
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 10:23 pm

jonleeds wrote:
When Sharpe Lane in Robin Hood was mentioned my ears pricked up, worry to go off topic, but it relates to my previous thread about the alleged 'Atomic Refuge' in the old Robin Hood pit.

I know from previous research that the GPO had a hardened facility just near the junction with Wakefield Road and Sharpe Lane. Is it still there or was it demolished when they built those new-fangled apartments next door?

In my head I was indulging myself that perhaps this 'Atomic Refuge' connected with the GPO facility, but I tend to get carried away. I'd heard that the electricity generating board had a control centre at Becca Hall furthur to the east of Leeds, but this side of Leeds does seem to have a glut of cold-war installations, most which have now gone. There was also the Rothwell buffer site where food and other supplies were stockpiled until the early 90s for the anticipated post-attack period. I believe that was demolished a few years ago.

Also just a few miles furthur along the M62 was one of the last cold-war era bunkers to be updated before the collapse of the Soviet Union. I can remember seeing it when I was a nipper as it was a bright green structure that could be glimpsed from the window of a passing car.

Almost makes you wish that the 'balloon had gone up' doesnt it!?

"Beep Beep Beep Beep! - ATTACK WARNING RED!? - Thats for bloody real isnt it?!!"

If you google RAF Robin Hood and look under the MARTIN website,you will see some interesting facts,photos,info etc about this particular site.It was a recognised repeater station kept back as part of plans in case of the bomb ever being dropped with reinforced structure,doors etc.As far as being some kind of connection with the old "Jane" pit at Robin Hood,I don't know but seems a bit tenuous.
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2 and 0 guests