Back to Backs

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
munki

Post by munki »

Does anyone know where the oldest back to back terraces in Leeds are?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

weerdboil

Post by weerdboil »

Some of the ones in Kippax were built in 1870.

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I live in a back to back area in Hyde Park but my house is very different in that it sits amongst all the other 'traditional' back to backs but is constructed of stone. I have been told it was once Burley Lodge itself, but how true this is I don't know. I have also heard stories that it was once a morgue! However, I don't know how old the building is itself.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

Greng

Post by Greng »

Many of the through terraces in the Beeston Hill and Holbeck area are from circa 1900.Not only are they possibly some of the oldest properties, some of them are also in very poor condition. Government deprivation data indicates one area of Beeston Hill (the 'Garnets' area) to be one of the 5 worst out of 36000 super output areas (SOA's) nationally in terms of living conditions in the country.Through terraces and back to backs in the Garnets area are due for demolition. On Hird street some of the properties are in such poor conditions that some home owners have simply abandoned their properties.

Otleybard

Post by Otleybard »

I think our house dates from the 1870s, soon after the arrival of the railway in Otley.

owdoo

Post by owdoo »

Our street was take in this shot in 1929 from the leodis website.We have recently moved to Morley and Zoar street in particular is mentioned many times on the site including a visit from the prince of wales in 1933 and the duke of Kent in 1933. How very posh!
Attachments
2006927_161962.jpg
2006927_161962.jpg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 16904 times

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I am almost sure that the oldest Leeds corperation "4 block" back to backs are the Recreations at Holbeck, just off Holbeck Moor, they are still there today.

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I reckon Holbeck has to be the favourite location for the oldest. That's where a lot of the industrial activity started. My Great-grandad had a house in Pleasant Terrace in about 1895 when they were new houses but I think there will be older ones than that. Another location would have been Buslingthorpe but I think they were all demolished in the fifties.
Attachments
4pleasterr.gif
4pleasterr.gif (51.36 KiB) Viewed 16904 times
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

There are some quite old ones in Harehills too, around the Beckett St area.

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

OldBoy wrote: I live in a back to back area in Hyde Park but my house is very different in that it sits amongst all the other 'traditional' back to backs but is constructed of stone. I have been told it was once Burley Lodge itself, but how true this is I don't know. I have also heard stories that it was once a morgue! However, I don't know how old the building is itself. Is that just off burley lodge road? It really interests me as it looks so out of place. What is it like inside?