Oldest Grave

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Does anybody know if this grave would still contain the coffin/remains? I'm sure they were moved but apparently there is still a headstone at the bottom of someones garden.....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 33b74ce990
Simon -H-

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

That roman coffin has been mentioned before on here - see http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... 3848Thanks for the reminder about the cache though - I still haven't 'done' that one.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Roman or earlier stone coffin in Adel Church yard near the stone horse mount steps.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Jogon wrote: Roman or earlier stone coffin in Adel Church yard near the stone horse mount steps. These are actually all that is left from a former archaeology display formerly kept in a nearby house.I too thought the6 were from the area until Dave Wheldrake the former Education Officer for West Yorkshire Archaeology told me the truth on a guided walk in the area some years back.He did also confirm though that the small round hump near the Oates memorial stone off Stonegate Road is a round barrow when i took him to look at it.This therefore must be in with a chance as oldest grave!    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Ann

Re: Oldest Grave

Post by Ann »

Try St James church at Seacroft or Lawnswood cemetary.

quaestorr

Post by quaestorr »

Whitkirk church is ancient (it has Norman bits and has been enlarged and improved over the centuries). There's a tomb in there for the Scargill family from about 1530, with alabaster figures on top. It's very much pre-reformation, inscribed in Latin and with reference to a chantry founded by the family. Sadly, the church is usually locked.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

A Viking grave from around 1250-1300 AD I had the pleasure of examining last month

:arrow:
Attachments
Viking Grave.jpg
Viking Grave.jpg (886.93 KiB) Viewed 14906 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

There have been a lot of Roman finds around Adel, Black Moor in this area was at one time a Roman camp
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.