alter in roundhay?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
munchinmac

Post by munchinmac »

Have read in previous old thread 'Roman Roads' etc that there is the possibility of an ancient Roman/Wiccan alter in the Roundhay area. I'm very intrigued to know if anyone can clarify its location.Thankslove Munchinmac xx

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I am not aware of any Pagan altars in the area.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

As mentioned in earlier threads, maps show 'Roman Alter found' on what beacme playing fields behind the old school and church on Wetherby Road. I understand there is nothing to be seen now.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Think it works out to be somewhere in the middle of the woods behind where Braim Wood used to be.Spent a good few hours there looking for it with my mates, but then looked at the map and saw "found" rather than still there so assume it has long been removed

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There is a Roman Altar and other stuff in the grounds of Adel Church, left over from the Museum which used to be across the road apparently according to Dave Wheldrake. We looked at it on the walk around Meanwood and Adel the other weekend.the stuff was put in the churchyard when the place closed.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: There is a Roman Altar and other stuff in the grounds of Adel Church, left over from the Museum which used to be across the road apparently according to Dave Wheldrake. We looked at it on the walk around Meanwood and Adel the other weekend.the stuff was put in the churchyard when the place closed. There is evidence of Roman settlement just north of Adel,on the way to Eccup,at Five Lane Ends.Also on the other side of Otley Road,in the vicinity of a farm,but cant remember which one.It was on my old a to z but cant find it.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

There was a roman alter discovered in either 1880 or 1881, whilst gravel was being excavated in front of Elmete Hall. I suspect that it was located somewhere just above the top playing field of the former Braimwood School. The position of the alter was marked on 1:10,560 scale OS plans. Take a look at the area at Old-maps ( http://www.old-maps.co.uk ) and particular the 1938 edition and it's position is clearly identifiedI remember looking for it when I was at Braimwood and naturally found nothing other than an odd buried stone flagged enclosure (which thinking back now must have been victorian in age and probably was a header tank for spring water)

munchinmac

Post by munchinmac »

Thank you all,I was curious as I walk the dog regularly in Roundhay Park area (not so much now that the dark mornings & nights are with us) and hadn't seen or read about anything on the subject other than the previous thread. I love this site and, being a Scottish interloper, its a great help in finding my way about and understanding a bit more about Leeds and what makes it tick.love Mac xx