Street Lane - Moortown

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
simonm

Post by simonm »

I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

simonm wrote: cant do proper smileys, but :'-( !! Is supposed to be unhappy

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

LS1 wrote: simonm wrote: cant do proper smileys, but :'-( !! Is supposed to be unhappy The simple smileys are at the bottom of the help page which can be accessed from the link at the top which is where I just learnt this one
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

LS1 wrote: Originally Street lane only went as far as Park Lane, coming from Moortown and was only extended in the late 19th Century When Prince's Avenue was built. Street Lane ends at the Canal Gardens (well, just a bit further up) and Prince's Avenue takes over. Note it is Prince's Not Princess as it was named in commemoration of Roundhay Parks opening by Prince Arthur.It's unlikely Street Lane is Roman, originally it wasnt very long. More likely the Allerton High stuff is associated with Adel and the road North of Alwoodley Lane which is Roman (cant get along there now though).Leeds was possibly the site of Campodunum, some finds were made on Quarry Hill which Thorsby notes in DL, but other than that Leeds itself is not thought to have been important in the grand scale of things. Hi LS1 I know Thorsby says he found earth works on Quarry Hill did he find anything roman there?I remember reading a concrete crossing had been found on the bed of the River Aire it was thought this could have been roman apart from that i have never heard of any other roman finds in the City Centre

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

sundowner wrote: LS1 wrote: Originally Street lane only went as far as Park Lane, coming from Moortown and was only extended in the late 19th Century When Prince's Avenue was built. Street Lane ends at the Canal Gardens (well, just a bit further up) and Prince's Avenue takes over. Note it is Prince's Not Princess as it was named in commemoration of Roundhay Parks opening by Prince Arthur.It's unlikely Street Lane is Roman, originally it wasnt very long. More likely the Allerton High stuff is associated with Adel and the road North of Alwoodley Lane which is Roman (cant get along there now though).Leeds was possibly the site of Campodunum, some finds were made on Quarry Hill which Thorsby notes in DL, but other than that Leeds itself is not thought to have been important in the grand scale of things. Hi LS1 I know Thorsby says he found earth works on Quarry Hill did he find anything roman there?I remember reading a concrete crossing had been found on the bed of the River Aire it was thought this could have been roman apart from that i have never heard of any other roman finds in the City Centre Burt and Grady in their book mention Thoresby's findings but also quote him as saying he dare not say whether they were '.... Roman or Saxon in origin'The nearest definitive and documented Roman presence seems to have been at Adel.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Thanks Tyke Boy .As far as I know any supposed Roman remains were Wiped away by Penda of Mercia as he laid waste to teh area in the 7th Century. I guess no-one will ever really know now since it has all been built on years ago, and now has the palayhouse on it!It would be nice for Leeds to have had some Romano connection but I with York so close was there any point?

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

LS1 wrote: Thanks Tyke Boy .As far as I know any supposed Roman remains were Wiped away by Penda of Mercia as he laid waste to teh area in the 7th Century. I guess no-one will ever really know now since it has all been built on years ago, and now has the palayhouse on it!It would be nice for Leeds to have had some Romano connection but I with York so close was there any point? I should think the first place people would settle would be on the site of Quarry Hill you can bet that a lot of soil has been taken of the top it would have been a good place to defend and as Thorsby said he found earth works on the site there is allso a good water supply near by it had every thing going for it.As you say it Has the Playhouse on there also it had Quarry Hill Flats and before that old houses no chance of finding any thing now.    

rikj

Post by rikj »

Street Lane has long been supposed to be a Roman road, partly because of the name. A "straet" was a smaller, minor Roman road, rather than the bigger vias. The whole of Yorkshire was criss crossed by these roads.In a 1904 map of the Roman roads Street Lane is marked as a "supposed road". Certainly, the lie of the land might suggest that it was. While Leeds itself had no great Roman settlement, the roads might have passed through.Interestingly, Roman roads still lie underneath our more modern ones. During the construction of the A1/M1 link road a section of the Castleford to Tadcaster road was investigated. The original Roman road was found beneath the layers of more modern road making. Also, quarry pits used to provide the original stone for the Roman road were identified alongside the road.

Si

Post by Si »

Few Roman roads were metalled with stone flags. They were usually a sand and gravel surface on top of a clay base, upon a raised "agger" or bank, the soil for which came from the drainage ditches dug on either side.

simonm

Post by simonm »

All major Roman roads had some form of flags / cobbles as the surface. Only minor routes used only gravel / sand topping.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"