Oldfield Lane Cemetery (Armley)

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
D2G

Post by D2G »

What has happened to oldfield Lane cemetery?, I knew that the chapels had been knocked down but it looks like the wrecking ball has been having ago at the graves too, the "new" area isn't too bad however the old area is a mess. I'm sure if a lot of relatives of the deceased knew how dilapidated the graves were they would be outraged. I assume this is a council cemetery and so some of the responsibility for the upkeep should be down to them I have phoned the number on the entrance to the cemetery and was told "someone will get back to me", this was around 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing from them. If anyone has any ideas please post here
Attachments
__TFMF_2c4xwy55zgr32mn0fie0pxfl_7f3414bc-13ce-4eda-9740-624868665d75_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2c4xwy55zgr32mn0fie0pxfl_7f3414bc-13ce-4eda-9740-624868665d75_0_main.jpg (676.73 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

In many cases the Council are exercising their Duty of Care under, yes, our old friend the H & S act and this could be what you are seeing.Any memorials which are deemed 'unsafe' are laid flat so that the mindless morons who take delight in trying to wreck them, can't sue when they fall over!Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but cemetries do seem to attract a particular element with a strange sense of respect, and the remainder of us suffer the indignity of the attempts to protect them from self inflicted harm.

D2G

Post by D2G »

I can understand them being laid flat (which is what had happened to our old family grave (pictured). However before i could take this picture i had to remove a number of broken stones which had been dumped on top of it (no idea where they came from originally). Rather than being made safe it seems more of "where can we dump this" type strategy that the council is using. I could understand if the graveyard was abandoned completely for this type of thing but as i understand there is CCTV patrolling the site. Also if there is so much vandalism then perhaps the gates should be locked on a night ( there is still an occupied house in the grounds) Just seems to me there should be more money funded into cemeterys in Leeds or at least if you call the council then someone should at least get back to you

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

D2G wrote: I can understand them being laid flat (which is what had happened to our old family grave (pictured). However before i could take this picture i had to remove a number of broken stones which had been dumped on top of it (no idea where they came from originally). Rather than being made safe it seems more of "where can we dump this" type strategy that the council is using. I could understand if the graveyard was abandoned completely for this type of thing but as i understand there is CCTV patrolling the site. Also if there is so much vandalism then perhaps the gates should be locked on a night ( there is still an occupied house in the grounds) Just seems to me there should be more money funded into cemeterys in Leeds or at least if you call the council then someone should at least get back to you I visited Yeadon Cemetery recently as I'm doing my family tree and found an old family gravestone.A few weeks later I returned to find it tipped over with a big scrape out of the side of it.Funnily enough the grass had been cut and several other gravestones had been damaged aswell which leads me to believe some idiot has been careering round the cemetery on a grass cutting machine with scant regard for the damage caused.I reported this to the council and have heard nothing since,no surprises there!!

D2G

Post by D2G »

Part of me was thinking the the was possible the grave stone had been laid out for the convenience of the grass cutters. If you go into Rawdon Crematorium you will find smashed plaques and hacked memorial plants and I really doubt this damage was caused by vandals. It is a pity there is no committee like the one at Undercliffe cemetery in Bradford

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

D2G wrote: Part of me was thinking the the was possible the grave stone had been laid out for the convenience of the grass cutters. If you go into Rawdon Crematorium you will find smashed plaques and hacked memorial plants and I really doubt this damage was caused by vandals. It is a pity there is no committee like the one at Undercliffe cemetery in Bradford Sounds a bit "sad" but I've been to quite a few cemeteries recently doing FH research and most seem to be in a very sorry state,some of the memorials are fantastic and it's such a shame they are getting trashed,there's lots of information to be found from gravestones and it could be lost forever. A lot of the damage is being caused by the very people employed to maintain the place.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

I've known people who have worked for the council's Parks & Countryside department and all of them took great care in making sure they did the job with respect, no doubt some will be careless.My local church yard is full or rubbish, a few volunteers clean up now and then but it feels like the council just are not botherd about keeping the whole site clean.The best thing you can do is complain, you are the customer you have the right, call and call again, (This also works if you're having housing issues )
I'll be back (arnie)

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Mick_SGC wrote: I've known people who have worked for the council's Parks & Countryside department and all of them took great care in making sure they did the job with respect, no doubt some will be careless.My local church yard is full or rubbish, a few volunteers clean up now and then but it feels like the council just are not botherd about keeping the whole site clean.The best thing you can do is complain, you are the customer you have the right, call and call again, (This also works if you're having housing issues ) I'm sure a lot of council employees take care in their work however a lot of the grass cutting round here is contracted out and it's a disgrace,young lads let loose on those stand on grass cutters and they make a right mess!Will take your advice and call again, perhaps they will get sick of me and do something.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

I know the type, I saw one doing donughts (Spinning round and round) on of those things recently. Gah.
I'll be back (arnie)

simonm

Post by simonm »

If you don't have any joy in telephoning the council directly, I would suggest that you visit your local councilor at thier weekly surgeries. Amazing how much they'll do for you with the local elections coming up!! If you don't get anyjoy 1st time round keep barracking them!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"