Allerton Grange High School

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Not exactly the oldest school in Leeds but was built in the late 50's however it does have a historical past. There was a farm which stood in its place before it was built and this dated back to the 12th century and there is historical proof that monks from Kirkstall Abbey used to use the site for farming.
Simon -H-

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Pictures and date changed above (was actually 12th century so older than i thought!)
Simon -H-

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Very close to being almost built!It seems they have all the metal frames and are now erecting the walls.Will get some pics but there is a live webcam for it too
Simon -H-

Joolie

Post by Joolie »

The actual Grange building was down on Lidgett Lane, where the Larkhills estate is today. Good clues to the site are in the street names. At the back of the Larkhills is Allerton Grange Croft, there's Allerton Grange Way and loads of Allerton Granges (View, Avenue etc. towards Gledhow Valley Road). The School buildings would have been on the site of sheep grazing for the Grange Farm! Nice and hilly. The house in the picture dates mainly from the eighteenth century. As with most stuff, they should have left it standing!!!

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Totally agree, should have left it all standing!!Although this school once produced some of the best lawers and solicitors and doctors alike in the land!Can anybody tell me the history of the Allerton Grange original school build? I heard the man who built it was a bit of a conman, and the drains were made of...wait for it.....Cardboard! Not only that, the foundations, even today, are still not safe.
Simon -H-

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Joolie wrote: The house in the picture dates mainly from the eighteenth century. As with most stuff, they should have left it standing!!! Just to add, I read on Leodis that this house had remnants from the 13th Century, possibly older although the farm land itself it was used by Monks from Kirkstall Abbey as part of their rich estates - hence the "Grange" bit.
Simon -H-

kenholway

Re: Allerton Grange High School

Post by kenholway »

Allerton grange school was built in 2 parts

The oldest part - the bit that became a middle school was built 1958.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mfk1970/5581283565
had about 18 classrooms. when i was there it was the lower school.

Later they built the larger middle and upper schools in the early 60's

in the mid 70's the newer buildings were found to have an issue with high alumina concrete, where chemicals put in the concrete cause corrosion in the reinforcement bars which needed structural repairs. Later the flat roofs were replaced with pitched ones.

Then school relied heavily on temporary classrooms, and no staffroom provision was made so a large workshop was converted.

The 1950's building was dated, and with the problems with the 60's building, a PFI replacement was built.

On the same site was Moor Allerton Hall primary school. that moved to a purpose built school, and I think the hall is now a private home

Close by was the Highwood Pub where some used to slip for a swift half at lunchtimes (ahem)

VirgilDon

Post by VirgilDon »

simon2710 wrote:
Mon 08 Jun, 2009 10:40 pm
Totally agree, should have much better Stenabolic results and left it all standing!!Although this school once produced some of the best lawers and solicitors and doctors alike in the land!Can anybody tell me the history of the Allerton Grange original school build? I heard the man who built it was a bit of a conman, and the drains were made of...wait for it.....Cardboard! Not only that, the foundations, even today, are still not safe.
I wonder why there aren't more details on this school. I mean, the 50's and 60's weren't that long ago. Thanks for shedding some light on it, Ken.
Last edited by VirgilDon on Mon 24 Oct, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

VirgilDon wrote:I wonder why there aren't more details on this school. I mean, the 50's and 60's weren't that long ago. Thanks for shedding some light on it, Ken.

I expect there was a lot of information and photos about the school on the now defunct Friends Reunited website. With a bit of luck you just might be able to recover some of it from a web archive like Wayback machine.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!