Natural underground caves of Roundhay Park?

Places to explore
phaze

Post by phaze »

Hi, just got to say this is a great idea for a site!I've heard stories since I was a kid, that there is some underground caves at the back of Roundhay Park, just near the novelty castle. Iv explored all this area, but I cant find anything, but I dont want to dismiss the idea that they dont exist due to being told by differnet people at differnt times in my life. I guess the idea is plausable, due to there being a large "quarry" at the very back of Roundhay Park, which connects with Roundhay golf course, and from what I gather, the stone in this area is limestone, so Im guessing caves could be present... ?? Has anyone ever heard about these natural caves before?Thanks,Phaze.

phaze

Post by phaze »

Ok, so I guess none of you guys have ever heard of these caves then??Cheers..

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

Nope, never heard of this, sorry. But these things pop up having been undiscovered for millenia. The largest underground caves in Europe (I believe) were discovered in Slough of all places a couple of years ago, so there may be hope yet.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi phaze. Not heard of these caves before, though that's not to say there isn't something there. I think the area is sandstone though, as maps mark the old quarries there as being sandstone rather than limestone.The whole area that is now Waterloo Lake used to be a quarry, which is why it is so deep (70+ft). As there were extensive quarry workings in the whole area it's possible that there could have been underground workings as well.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I have heard of this and am very sure that it appeared in local newspapers such as the yorkshire evening post and they even drained it out. I also know that there is quick sand there!
Simon -H-

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Phaze. Apparently Roundhay was heavily quarried & the land was badly scarred with pits & spoil heaps by the Kirkstall monks in the 11th centuary. It was mainly South Seacroft & the Roundhay area near Braimwood school & the lake. It was mined for iron,coal & clay were the pits became so vast they had to use pumps to extract the water. Quite what technology they had for water extraction in those days is a bit puzzling. There is a book available if you have a look in any library & ask.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The same msg appeared twice for some reason. OOPS!!! I may as well add something interesting here then. Why can't we have that little miniture train back? Anybody remember it used to run through the woods?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi, I remember the train, but someone thought it was fun to set fire to the train shed. May be thats why it doesn't run now. Too difficult to keep secure in the park.But I think one still operates during the summer at Kirkstall. Wonder if it's the same one?
Go the Rhinos.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I think the old man died who ran it for years & his son's got sick of it been vandalised so they closed it down. I don't think the Kirkstall one is the same but thats another attraction you don't see advertised. I don't think Leeds sells itself very well sometimes!!

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

Does the kirkstall one still run?