Temple Newsam Tunnels

Places to explore
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Did anyone see the article in tonights YEP, page 5? If not, it is interesting to note that Tempy are opening up their secret tunnels to the general viewing public, on special interest tours! (These passageways were built so that servants could get from one side of the house to the other without being seen). It doesn't mention any tunnels running out from there, but if you visited, you may see something such as a doorway and be able to query it? Anyway, entry for the special tour, which runs on Tuesdays and Saturdays is free with admission to the house, but places must be booked in advance. Telephone number for Temple Newsam House is 0113 264 7321.If anyone does visit, post it up on here so we can all share!!!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah i saw it. A lot of the big old houses had this sort of thing. I think it's deplorable the so called gentry of yesteryear wanted skivvy's to do all there dirty work without having to set eye's on the poor retchid souls! Secret tunnels loose the attraction don't you think when there open to tourists?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Yeah, they were quick to laud it over people about the fact they had servants, but they weren't fit to be seen above stairs eh? I think the British probably invented slavery over here first!! I agree about the secret tunnels too - not so secret when you are being led round by some bod with a flashlight, followed by 20 other people!!! lol