When is a subway not a subway?

Places to explore
wsmith

Post by wsmith »

Is it true that a lot of A Clockwork Orange was filmed in & around Leeds, including the scene where they beat up the old man in the subway? If so, does anyone know which scenes were shot where?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Not sure about Clockwork Orange. The soon to disappear Brunswick Building of LeedsMet was used in an episode of 70/80s Sci Fi Series Blake's 7.Obviously a lot of TV filming is/was done around Leeds by YTV but its very easy to spot bits of Leeds inFrostFat Friends (including the real Woodies on Otley Road)No AngelsThe series with Jan Francis and Denis Waterman, Stay Lucky?And going back furtherThe Beiderbeck Trilogy
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

At lot of the Biederbeck stuff was filmed around St Johns Road Burley. Same view as from my school (St Michaels College) for lots of the shots.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Don't forget about Frost. I try to play spot the location. Wasn't Angels filmed in Leeds as well? or am i being totally thick and confused. and if we're on about it, The Good Old Days!!!!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Letty, yes I mentioned Frost and No Angels (Angels of the late 70s was almost certainly filmed in London if there was any location filming). One of the Nurse's in No Angels ((the one with the daughter) lived in the Sunnyviews (Beeston) recognizable because it overlooks Elland Road football ground.Yes the Good old days was filmed at Leeds' City Varieties but it was a bit hard to spot other Leeds landmarks ;-)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Letty

Post by Letty »

WhoopsBeing a bit stupid! Long day at work!Wasn't there a a programme recently with Peter Davidson? Milliionnaire or jackpot winner? Never watched it but saw someone being filmed trying to cycle up Tinshill Lane... Not easy even when you're a cyclist let alone an actor... and some of Beiderbecke was filmed around Butcher Hill and Abbey GRange school. I think

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

No Angels was mostly filmed at High Royds before they demolished it and built High Royds Village (basically a housing estate!!!)I used to love the Biederbecke series, some of it was filmed off Tong Road in Wortley too.As for Frost, don't you find it frustrating to follow them along the roads in Leeds in one scene, only to discover within the "one" scene, you see Harehills Road, cut to Armley Road, cut to Ireland Wood?!!!!? It throws me right off!!! Happen I need more to think about?!!! lol

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Letty, do you mean At Home With The Braithwaites? I didn't watch it, but heard it was filmed in Leeds.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

The biederbecke trilogy was fantastic, it was filmed all over Leeds, in the first series, Barbara Flynns character lived at the kirkstall road end of vesper road, in the other 2 series her house was in chapel allerton, and of course...san quentin high, the school they were teachers in was Foxwood school.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Does anyone remember Queenies Castle, with Diana Dors? This was filmed in Quarry Hill flats! I remember the flats and also, very vaguely, the series.