Becks and Culverts in South Leeds.

Places to explore
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: Isn't Millshaw Beck a continuation of Topcliffe Beck, which flows out of Topcliffe Colliery and runs a parallel to Dewsbury Road and presumably enters a culvert somewhere near the White Rose Centre and crosses the ring road, becoming Millshaw Beck? Tis true.....Mill Beck from Miggy way joins Topcliffe beck and becomes Millshaw beck up the road to Dewsbury.Shall we float our paper boats up the dewsbury road then get down to the cross keys on water lane and have a couple whilst they eventually float by???

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

speaking of Becks i have a mystery for you, in Gildersome where i came from their is a beck called locally as yellow waters, it is near the area called brownfields where the old pit was between drig and gildersome, anyway the mystery is it comes up out of the ground in bubbles... it's true and the water is yellow hence the name, that must be minerals or something... i have looked on google earth but all you can see is bushes and trees... but i know where it is...is this the real beginnings of a natural spring, i know all over gildersome is renowned for natural springs but we used to think it was ace when we were kids really weird... anybody know of it..
laura hustler

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Loz123 wrote: speaking of Becks i have a mystery for you, in Gildersome where i came from their is a beck called locally as yellow waters, it is near the area called brownfields where the old pit was between drig and gildersome, anyway the mystery is it comes up out of the ground in bubbles... it's true and the water is yellow hence the name, that must be minerals or something... i have looked on google earth but all you can see is bushes and trees... but i know where it is...is this the real beginnings of a natural spring, i know all over gildersome is renowned for natural springs but we used to think it was ace when we were kids really weird... anybody know of it.. The 1936 OS map shows 2 becks running from Gildersome. One starts about half way on a direct line between Drig. and Gildresome and drains towards Cockersdale. The pit isn't shown. If it was yellow that's common where there are disused flooded coal mines and iron ore (rust). I remember Dennis Skinner talking about "Occo Watter" (Occo was an orange juice drink) in the streams around Bolsover. Don't know why it bubbled probably just trapped air bubbles.The other stream starts high up between Upper Moor Side and "Philadelphia" and drains the other way towards the Gelderd Road crossing it at the "Packhorse Inn" skirting Cottingley, crossing Elland road at the bottom of Churwell Hill and joining Millshaw beck at the Millshaw Ind Est.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

i know all over gildersome is renowned for natural springs but we used to think it was ace when we were kids really weird... anybody know of it.. You can say that again Loz.. There's a few of them sprung inside Gildersome tunnel by the looks of things. This video might take you back a bithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_tB7Mr4ck    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Just been looking at the beck that runs from Post hill and finally loose it as it goes underground, just before the railway on elland rd, just before the football ground. Took a look at the piccie on the Lemi thread and it is obviously the same, but modern culvert has directed it underground. So I take it, this is the same beck that re-emerges at water lane?If so, where exactly is Hol beck? I always assumed that they were one and the same, just different sections!! Sorry to appear thick!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

Hi Phil d, thanks for that your right it did bring back memories... i went down their myself many moons ago, scary as hell, it was before they had put the gate on and boarded it all off... cos i remember been able to get in really easy... i only got just past the entrance and legged it... not a nice place gave me the creeps especiallly with mates saying can you here a train Whooo!!! whooo!!!anyway did you go into the wood the other side... there is a bunker house ( as we called it) i think it was left over from the railway days... or maybe the war, got told many things so i'm not sure which is right... thats weird too it has a little hatch that opens above the stream, 1 window and a hole for a door, just like a little house you must have seen it if you down their looking about, don't know what that is maybe it would say on a map... i have never looked...Do you know what it is...
laura hustler

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: Isn't Millshaw Beck a continuation of Topcliffe Beck, which flows out of Topcliffe Colliery and runs a parallel to Dewsbury Road and presumably enters a culvert somewhere near the White Rose Centre and crosses the ring road, becoming Millshaw Beck? Tis true.....Mill Beck from Miggy way joins Topcliffe beck and becomes Millshaw beck up the road to Dewsbury.Shall we float our paper boats up the dewsbury road then get down to the cross keys on water lane and have a couple whilst they eventually float by??? When I were a lad in the fifties and sixties we used to spend hours trainspotting at next to the GNR line and to pass the time try and dam the beck - it was a bright orangey brown - presumably from the iron in it.There's also a beck which runs down Bruntcliffe Lane, but is totally covered these days, it runs under Morley Bottoms and presumably joins Millshaw/Topcliffe beck somewhere near the White Rose, it was in the past responsible for the flooding of the infamous "Morla 'oil" which even I'm not old enough to remember - the site of Morla 'oil has always been grass in my memory.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Loz.. Yes i know the bunker thing you mean. Like a small 2 story concrete construction right next to the stream with window holes.. I used to have a picture of it a while ago.. It's not very easy to get to with all the undergrowth now a days.. I've a few more pics in the woods the other side of Asquith ave and near the showcase cinema herehttp://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=326762127Most are tunnel stuff but you might find something of interest there mate!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

Hi Phill, just looked on your blog cannot find the bunker house picture, but great pictures of the tunnel though... freaky...anyway i have looked on the 1854 map of gildersome it show the railway line running right through where the little weird house is and it is in the right place.. maybe it was somewhere for the drivers or sign operator to go... not sure.. but if it was that old would it made of concrete have you ever seen anything like it near or next to a railway line... i haven't to be honest not looking like that anyway... i wonder how you can find out.. i have googled it but it seems no one has put a picture up of this either...
laura hustler

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No i don't have the picture no more.. I think i'm refering to something different. The structure i mean is on top of the tunnel. (or near abouts) It's in the woodland off Asquith Avenue and in between Gildersome spur..