Becks and Culverts in South Leeds.

Places to explore
Mick.G

Post by Mick.G »

Trojan wrote: The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: Isn't Millshaw Beck a continuation of Topcliffe Beck, which flows out of Topcliffe Colliery and runs a parallel to Dewsbury Road and presumably enters a culvert somewhere near the White Rose Centre and crosses the ring road, becoming Millshaw Beck? Tis true.....Mill Beck from Miggy way joins Topcliffe beck and becomes Millshaw beck up the road to Dewsbury.Shall we float our paper boats up the dewsbury road then get down to the cross keys on water lane and have a couple whilst they eventually float by??? When I were a lad in the fifties and sixties we used to spend hours trainspotting at next to the GNR line and to pass the time try and dam the beck - it was a bright orangey brown - presumably from the iron in it.There's also a beck which runs down Bruntcliffe Lane, but is totally covered these days, it runs under Morley Bottoms and presumably joins Millshaw/Topcliffe beck somewhere near the White Rose, it was in the past responsible for the flooding of the infamous "Morla 'oil" which even I'm not old enough to remember - the site of Morla 'oil has always been grass in my memory. The beck you refer to which runs down Bruntcliffe Lane is the Valley Stream and does indeed run under Morley Bottoms. It then flows down towards Morley Low railway station where it then roughly follows the course of the railway line from Morley Low station towards the level crossing on Valley Road. This stream can still be seen emerging from what I assume to be a spoil heap near to the old LNWR level crossing and is visible for about 100m where it then dissapears under the railway line embankment and the 1980's landfill site. It then joins Topcliffe beck and Owlers beck and flows towards Millbeck where is can be seen by the White rose Centre. There are several wooden bridges over the beck at the White Rose centre for people wanting to access the shopping centre by foot. Valley stream supplied water for several mills including Crank Mill. It's amazing to think how much of Morley's history was formed by this stream which originates from a spring just besides Bruntcliffe Lane.Mick

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Mick.G wrote: Trojan wrote: The Parksider wrote: Trojan wrote: Isn't Millshaw Beck a continuation of Topcliffe Beck, which flows out of Topcliffe Colliery and runs a parallel to Dewsbury Road and presumably enters a culvert somewhere near the White Rose Centre and crosses the ring road, becoming Millshaw Beck? Tis true.....Mill Beck from Miggy way joins Topcliffe beck and becomes Millshaw beck up the road to Dewsbury.Shall we float our paper boats up the dewsbury road then get down to the cross keys on water lane and have a couple whilst they eventually float by??? When I were a lad in the fifties and sixties we used to spend hours trainspotting at next to the GNR line and to pass the time try and dam the beck - it was a bright orangey brown - presumably from the iron in it.There's also a beck which runs down Bruntcliffe Lane, but is totally covered these days, it runs under Morley Bottoms and presumably joins Millshaw/Topcliffe beck somewhere near the White Rose, it was in the past responsible for the flooding of the infamous "Morla 'oil" which even I'm not old enough to remember - the site of Morla 'oil has always been grass in my memory. The beck you refer to which runs down Bruntcliffe Lane is the Valley Stream and does indeed run under Morley Bottoms. It then flows down towards Morley Low railway station where it then roughly follows the course of the railway line from Morley Low station towards the level crossing on Valley Road. This stream can still be seen emerging from what I assume to be a spoil heap near to the old LNWR level crossing and is visible for about 100m where it then dissapears under the railway line embankment and the 1980's landfill site. It then joins Topcliffe beck and Owlers beck and flows towards Millbeck where is can be seen by the White rose Centre. There are several wooden bridges over the beck at the White Rose centre for people wanting to access the shopping centre by foot. Valley stream supplied water for several mills including Crank Mill. It's amazing to think how much of Morley's history was formed by this stream which originates from a spring just besides Bruntcliffe Lane.Mick That's really interesting, I was wondering if it had been used to drive Crank Mill before it became the first steam powered mill in Yorkshirehttp://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/332844
Industria Omnia Vincit

goingunderground

Post by goingunderground »

The other week they were doing a lot of work down the private road that runs past the station.Here's a Picy of the Beck under the road between the station and the level crossing (I think)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Bramley4woods wrote: Speaking to old-timers the whole area from New Wortley to Elland Road seems to have been regularly flooded and the un built-on land around the football ground was reckoned to be "Bad Land" (marshy) when I was a kid in the '50s.However researching it doesn't seem to be easy because the becks wiggle about and have been culverted in places.I assume since water flows downhill they all drain towards the River Aire. The local history tells you that Beeston was built on the Hill and the main road from Leeds to Manchester was built up Beeston Hill and through the Village to avoid the marshlands where Elland Road runs today!! Bad land indeed.......I would however guess that the ultimate "culverted" waterway is Belle Isle beck??The catchment area for this is the rising land up to Middleton to the south, Rothwell to the south east and Beeston to the south west.Stand where the broom colliery stood and a beck had to, and did flow strongly from such a lie of land. But between the course and the finish of this beck (I think it is at Crown Point Bridge close to where Sheepscar beck comes out probably near to Tetleys as Yorkshire Water used to warn us to ensure to effleunt or chemicals got in the land drains there as they'd end up in the river via the "underground stream")....there is no sign of Belle Isle beck at all?????

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The Parksider wrote: But between the SOURCE and the finish of this beck (I think it is at Crown Point Bridge close to where Sheepscar beck comes out probably near to Tetleys as Yorkshire Water used to warn us to ensure NO effleunt or chemicals got in the land drains there as they'd end up in the river via the "underground stream")....there is no sign of Belle Isle beck at all????? Edited for incompetent illiteracy.....

scrabbler

Post by scrabbler »

A tour upstream from Lowfields Rd halfway down , the beck was behind BRS Depot , regularly flooded between here and CWS Bakery , then went under Knigs Cross railway past Pettys sportsfield under a bridge towrds Near Royds turned left under a concrete bridge with steps (Bridge 61 Leodis pic ref 7252, which led from a path oppsite bungalow on Elland Road next to Concrete place . Alongside the ups and downs under Elland Rd by E&CC Co now tile place bridge (bridge 60 Loedis pic ref 7532 still there I think by bus stop alongside Crows Nest Lane behind Old Drysalters and Hanson Haulage , under Crows Nest where it Turned 90 degress behind new Drysalters under path (Bridge 58 Leodis pic ref 2002815_11507815 )that led to Beeston School and Railway Bridge , through rhubarb fields (Leodis ref 20006713_161536 )turned right under Ring Road not far from Millshaw behind houses on corner of Millshaw and Ring Road under Millshaw between allotments and Ingles Mill Staff Houses . One course then carried on parallel to Ring Road to Woodman Inn next to Turkey sheds where path went up side of Settling ponds over Manchester railway line past old fever hospital to finish up at Back Green Churwell . Under Dewsbury Road through fields to just past Wide Lane where Red Brick Cafe is . I remember going to cyclo cross here in the 60's when the riders had to go down the beck no paths ordinary 10 speed drop handle bars . more time spent with bike over your shoulder then on the saddle . It is now called mountain biking , after this not sure but lie of land dictates up to Tingley Gas works or Topcliffe colliery area of Morley .The other course went under Ingles Mill and emerged by the Track that led to Woodys farm past the reed beds along the boundary of Churwell Cricket Club (now between the two football fields) past little sewage beds by the present Morley Boundary sign under Elland Road under Churwell Dye Works under Old Road by Old Close along the railway until it turned left to appear alongside Paynes car dismantlers turned right under the old Churwell Pit Railway banking twisting along past Johnsons scrapyard Gatenbys pig stys and the Woodyard to finish up going uner the New Line through a very long tunnel due to height of embankment and appeared at the back of the Jews cemetery . Before it went under the New Line there was a branch to the left which was culverted in a very spectacular mini stone walled structure only a foot deep with large paving stones covering , it the cam to be an open beck which led to Daffill Wood and JAPA ponds possible a spring or natural overflow . There are many pictures on Leodis that follow this beck and an excellent picture showing the new culvert being built next to the New Line made out of Galvanised Steel Sections to form a ring . I believe this beck starts its life in Cockersdale Woods but can't remember what it is called at origin will have to find the old maps and look . If you look on Leodis search M621 some pictures relating to this area , also I was there digging the old course when we found the mini stone walling . hope this fills some gaps I think this watercourse started life as Farnley Wood Beck .Leodis pics 2006712_161512                 2006712_161516                 200687_161709show construction of the beck tunnel under the M621 .