The Blackmoor Tunnel

Places to explore
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

John Wignall Leather, Civil Engineersecond half of page 473http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/docserver/ful ... 3145DC5"Of Knostrop Hall"....jag

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: John Wignall Leather, Civil Engineersecond half of page 473http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/docserver/ful ... 3145DC5"Of Knostrop Hall"....jag Hi JogonWhen I use that link I get a "The page you requested is not available" message in the ICE website. Do I need to be a member of ICE to be able to access that link?    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

leo my fault, no memberships neededtry thishttp://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=weetw ... DhALeather starts halfway down 1st viewed page. I am sure I read somewhere in an article that water from eccup resvr went via the blackmoor tunnel "...where more water joined it..." or words to that effect ie that other sources appeared to join the flow to weetwood?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Jogon. The new link works fine. That is an interesting account of Mr Leather's work, which included the Blackmoor Tunnel and other local things. I also found this in the account to be very interesting:-"In bridge construction, Mr. Leather designed and executed, inaddition to those connected with navigations, two bridges overthe River Aire at Leeds, namely, one at ‘‘ Crown Point” of castiron, with arch of 120 feet span and 12 feet rise ; and a second,called “ Victoria Bridge,” of stone, with elliptical arch of 80 feetspan and 13 feet rise ; both bridges being very ornamental in design".

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Jogon wrote: Between 7 arches and the conduit coming out of the woods, there seems also to be 'Scotland Mill Dam'. The dam sluice and conduit for the mill is a seperate system that can be traced down to the ruins of Scotland Mill.The site is relatively well preserved and well worth a close look.Along the high path the conduit takes is a strange stone structure that seems to break the line of the conduit and continues down towards the beck.I haven't a clue what this was built for and would love to know!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

parksider thanksI mean to get over there and have a look, with camera.I was speaking to a chap who does some work up at the hollies, mentioned the Aqueduct and he said that there were some drinking fountains and ornate stonework thinks or used to be, near the entrance / Weetwood ln.Think they may be covered in rubbish etc or behind stuff now.Not seen any drinking fountains and would they be push button gravity fed straight from Eccup?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Best image to date of the Weetwood Aqueduct which crossed what is now the Ring Road up at Weetwood from that ?Scottish map thingyhttp://maps.nls.uk/view/102344914Surveyed 1847 published 1851To understand it, I think Weetwood Farm is now Hope Pastures the Donkey Sanctuary.ps Roe Deer feed very early morning on the margin of field which adjoin The Hollies
Attachments
Weetwood aqueduct.PNG
Weetwood aqueduct.PNG (0 Bytes) Viewed 3724 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Yorkshire Sheet 203 surveyed in 1847 and published in 1851 has an interesting thing that seems related to the Blackmoor Tunnel that I was not aware of, namely the 'A Branch Conduit of the Leeds Water Works' that is seen in this part of the map. It seems to start from Nanny Bridge, which is where Nanny Beck now runs under King Lane at the Tesco Express and continues to seemingly join the main Blackmoor Tunnel water conduit at the Seven Arches aqueduct. I have wondered before about a sealed off bit at the Tesco side of Nanny Bridge and now think it may be part of the branch conduit.The map also notes 'Thorner Ford' which I had not heard of. It is usually very badly drained around that area so I may have never been close to it to see if there any remains of the ford. Something to look out for whenever (if ever!) things dry up!        
Attachments
BlackTunBranchConduit1847survey.jpg
BlackTunBranchConduit1847survey.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo interestingI'm sure I read on one of the old journals mention of the tunnel and tributaries or somesuch, the implication was that other sources joined it.Not sure if I'll be able to find that, I 'released' a lot of my local history books last year.

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

I noticed the other weekend that Johnson's Shaft is now a lot more visible from the road. If you are on The Valley and look between the sub station and the house next door there is a clear view through the woods to it. I think the fencing around there must have changed recently making it a lot easier to spot in the woods. My photo is terrible but hopefully it will give you some idea of how clear it now is to see it from the road.
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (279.7 KiB) Viewed 3724 times