The Blackmoor Tunnel

Places to explore
rikj

Post by rikj »

Probably the least known, but most impressive feat of engineering in Leeds. It's difficult to find out info on this, but hope to have some in the New Year. Google isn't very forthcoming at all, so this is just stuff I've found out by deduction and digging around.If this pic uploads OK then it'll give a clue as to where the tunnel is and what it does. Understandable that it's kept fairly quiet. On the pic uploaded are a couple of unnatural looking features that will give away the location if you can spot them! A larger version to make it easier is here:http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 3&size=lIf you can spot the surface features then relate them to some old maps then you'll be on a winner. If I can remember how to post pics in here then I'll post some up tomorrow.
Attachments
__TFMF_tac0errw53dsdb45v4jice45_e2668d1e-157b-4e0c-b48b-08799118656f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tac0errw53dsdb45v4jice45_e2668d1e-157b-4e0c-b48b-08799118656f_0_main.jpg (49.31 KiB) Viewed 9338 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

rikj wrote: Probably the least known, but most impressive feat of engineering in Leeds. It's difficult to find out info on this, but hope to have some in the New Year. Google isn't very forthcoming at all, so this is just stuff I've found out by deduction and digging around.If this pic uploads OK then it'll give a clue as to where the tunnel is and what it does. Understandable that it's kept fairly quiet. On the pic uploaded are a couple of unnatural looking features that will give away the location if you can spot them! A larger version to make it easier is here:http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 3&size=lIf you can spot the surface features then relate them to some old maps then you'll be on a winner. If I can remember how to post pics in here then I'll post some up tomorrow. Is that Eccup and are you talking of the tunnel built to take water to weetwood filter beds through Adel Woods??Once that water flowed over the seven arches, and below that structure is scotland mill dam and the remains of scotland mill??

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I once went down into the sewage area of the tunnel not so long ago. Where the old Veritys Tea Rooms were, and near the sbabbling baby there is a metal gate that opens to a clearing. In there are heavy metal grates like sheets of steel, one of which had the padlock missing! So, being inquisitive we hada look under. Nothing special but it opens up to a big underground chamber and there is a big filtration system underneath, you can really hear the water gushing through here (not sure if it is sewage though?!?!?)

jf

Post by jf »

There's a bit of detail about the tunnel in this IstructE article:http://tinyurl.com/2u32ffPresumably the wooded areas visible on the map (and also on Google Earth) are from where the tunnel construction adits were, rather than ventilation as there would not be a need to provide this?Reading the rest of the article, are there any remains of the culvert which linked the tunnel to Headingley? Presumably this may have incorporated further tunnels/bridges as well as the Adel aqueduct, unless the replacement pipeline was built along the exact path (logical if easements are to be limited, though perhaps unlikely if this would interupt the supply during construction)

rikj

Post by rikj »

That's right jf. When I first saw this photo I noticed the circular woods and thought they looked like spoil heaps. Normally in country like this woods will follow field boundaries or roads. A bit of digging found that there were five shafts.The first is the valve shaft still extant at Eccup.There are then three shafts heading towards the Seven Arches aqueduct. Depending on which maps you look at these may or may not be marked! They used to have names, progressing in order from Eccup to Adel they were, Smith's Shaft, Johnson's Shaft and finally Verity's Shaft. Would be very interested to know who these three were, must have been connected to the construction. The construction also accounts for a row of cottages on King Lane named Tunnel Row, built for the workers.This is Verity's shaft, it's the only one that's readily visible;This is Johnson's shaft, hidden from view and by undergrowth. Remains of the spoil just visible in the background.I haven't looked yet but I assume that Smith's shaft is still there and similar to these two. Those who've been counting might be wondering where the fifth shaft is. Somewhere near King Lane is the answer. Probably just an anonymous manhole cover by now, if it still exists at all. Intuition tells me it was a later addition and not of the same design.@jf, I don't know what else remains, the system has constantly evolved and is still doing so. Parts of the (some) conduits are marked on maps, though whether this was the original or a later replacement I don't know. I'm tracking down some plans so hope to find out more.Also, as is usual, there are things that aren't documented, or the documents haven't survived. For example when the Meter House in Headingley was being renovated a large diameter 36in pipe was found that wasn't on any plans. More worryingly it still appeared to be live! Seemed to be workmen there for weeks capping it.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I had a look at the seven arches and went back up to Alwoodley to trace the shafts at Lakeland Drive, The Valley and Buckstone oval.Steven Burt tells a good story of the construction of the tunnel and supply of water to Leeds in his illustrated history of alwoodley.Understanding the transfer of water exactly is a little difficult. Burt refers to a piece that states a "covered conduit of brickwork and masonry" carries the water beyond the seven arches to weetwood. I wonder if any of this part of the transfer of water is still evident today??

rikj

Post by rikj »

Yes, you can still see what I assume to be the conduit immediately south of the aqueduct. I'm guessing that it might still contain live pipes. I think there was also another aqueduct spanning what is now the ring road, up near the current cricket ground. Keep meaning to have a look to see if there are any signs of it still remaining in terms of stones lying around.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

rikj wrote: Yes, you can still see what I assume to be the conduit immediately south of the aqueduct. I'm guessing that it might still contain live pipes. I think there was also another aqueduct spanning what is now the ring road, up near the current cricket ground. Keep meaning to have a look to see if there are any signs of it still remaining in terms of stones lying around. Knockout - a second aqueduct!!!!!It's hard to wonder how they got that water to Weetwood but that fits!On any maps anyone?

rikj

Post by rikj »

Phew, found it again, was hoping I hadn't imagined seeing it.If you go to Old-maps.co.uk and put in the co-ordinates;427600 438600that should put the second aqueduct in the centre of the screen. Use the bottom icon on the right of the screen to blow it up huge!Fortunately a lot reference points can still be found, Smithy Mills, Long Causeway etc. If you compare where the aqueduct was with google earth or even a current OS map then I think it would be worth a look to see if there are any signs. If I remember there's quite a steep sided narrow valley there, and this is the best time of year to go looking!This is from the map of 1851. The other maps on there are 1894/5 and neither show the aqueduct or the conduit. I would have thought that even if the conduit had been replaced the aqueduct would be shown on a map if it was still there. Which implies it was demolished before 1894. All the stone would probably have been carted away to be re-used but there might be the odd lump left.Of course, it begs the question why was it demolished, and what replaced it?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

rikj wrote: Yes, you can still see what I assume to be the conduit immediately south of the aqueduct. I'm guessing that it might still contain live pipes. I think there was also another aqueduct spanning what is now the ring road, up near the current cricket ground. Keep meaning to have a look to see if there are any signs of it still remaining in terms of stones lying around. Is it wishful thinking on my part - or can I see the track of the conduit on Google Earth, running from behind the cricket ground across to the woods heading towards the shafts?Years ago we were taken to the old filterbed site as part of the science course at school, memories a little vague from then but as well as the pungent smell of chlorine in the 'gas house' (didn't stay in there long!) I do remember being told of two 36" pipes bringing the water in (circa '65).