The rise and fall of Parlington hall

Places to explore
parlington

Post by parlington »

The end! The dust has settled now, this is what the damage was... to the car!
Attachments
__TFMF_gvebfo450kzbedykueamwk55_c1500d9a-f3b5-4d5d-a7ce-93ac1cf03125_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gvebfo450kzbedykueamwk55_c1500d9a-f3b5-4d5d-a7ce-93ac1cf03125_0_main.jpg (92.28 KiB) Viewed 10335 times

Si

Post by Si »

That looks like a fairly rare Isuzu engined Lotus M100 Elan that's come off worse.    

parlington

Post by parlington »

Si wrote: That looks like a fairly rare Isuzu engined Lotus M100 Elan that's come off worse.     It was a 1992 series two, UK built with a Japanese Isuzu 1.6 turbo-charged engine. Claimed to have the best suspension set up for a front wheel drive car!

m100

Post by m100 »

parlington wrote: Si wrote: That looks like a fairly rare Isuzu engined Lotus M100 Elan that's come off worse.     It was a 1992 series two, UK built with a Japanese Isuzu 1.6 turbo-charged engine. Claimed to have the best suspension set up for a front wheel drive car! <geek mode>No if it's a 1992 registered vehicle, and as per that photo it has that particular badging on the rear then it's an Elan SE which was in production from 1989 to June 1992. The 'Elan S2' was in production from June 1994 to September 1995.But there was also another Lotus Elan, rear wheel drive in S1, S2, S3, S4 and +2 form from 1962 to 1975. Diana Rigg (who went to Fulneck School in Pudsey) aka Emma Peel in the Avengers drove one.As to how I know this there is a big clue in my user name

parlington

Post by parlington »

m100 wrote: parlington wrote: Si wrote: That looks like a fairly rare Isuzu engined Lotus M100 Elan that's come off worse.     It was a 1992 series two, UK built with a Japanese Isuzu 1.6 turbo-charged engine. Claimed to have the best suspension set up for a front wheel drive car! <geek mode>No if it's a 1992 registered vehicle, and as per that photo it has that particular badging on the rear then it's an Elan SE which was in production from 1989 to June 1992. The 'Elan S2' was in production from June 1994 to September 1995.But there was also another Lotus Elan, rear wheel drive in S1, S2, S3, S4 and +2 form from 1962 to 1975. Diana Rigg (who went to Fulneck School in Pudsey) aka Emma Peel in the Avengers drove one.As to how I know this there is a big clue in my user name Yes you are correct, I made a mistake, I should have read my note before dashing it off! The Lotus was my daughter's car, for the last ten years, and she was the person who was injured in it! I have been struggling with the fall out from the accident since, fortunately she is on the mend now. So you had one also, great to drive don't you think, but not good at keeping the elements on the outside, with the hood detailing!

parlington

Post by parlington »

For those of you who enjoy walking through the Parlington Estate, you might like to know that an exhibition of local landscapes, all done in or near the estate, is the subject of an exhibition at Aberford Interiors in early October, there are 30 oil paintings (28 of Parlington scenes and 2 of Barwick in Elmet) Anthony Christian the artist is an acknowledged international painter, he lives in the estate. The details are on my site: http://www.parlington.co.uk
Attachments
__TFMF_exluoc55hlrrhg3q3zni1rfv_c23a1c74-3959-493e-8f8d-99733bc9ad87_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_exluoc55hlrrhg3q3zni1rfv_c23a1c74-3959-493e-8f8d-99733bc9ad87_0_main.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 10335 times

Kippax_Bird

Post by Kippax_Bird »

Hi I know this is an old thread but I went for a walk for the first time in years round the parlington estate and I have a few questions.Firstly is the land private property or are you ok to walk around the estate? There just seemed to be a lot of signs stating it was private property.Does anyone live in the large house in the woods or has this just been abandoned? I also seem to remember there being a "gamekeepers cottage" tucked away in the woods or have I just imagined this?Also what are the strange structures all the way up to the triumphant arch? Some of them look quite old but a few seemed to be a bit more modernThank you

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Kippax_Bird wrote: Hi I know this is an old thread but I went for a walk for the first time in years round the parlington estate and I have a few questions.Firstly is the land private property or are you ok to walk around the estate? There just seemed to be a lot of signs stating it was private property.Does anyone live in the large house in the woods or has this just been abandoned? I also seem to remember there being a "gamekeepers cottage" tucked away in the woods or have I just imagined this?Also what are the strange structures all the way up to the triumphant arch? Some of them look quite old but a few seemed to be a bit more modernThank you Hi Kippax Bird,I went on a guided walk around the Estate in September last year as part of the Leeds Heritage weekend, led by Brian (who is "Parlington" on this forum), and learned a lot about the estate. First, the path up to the triumphal arch is on public land, but the signs saying the rest of the estate is private do mean exactly that. Brian, who used to live in the house, no longer lives there and had to obtain permission from the current landowners to lead the guided walk that weekend.The main house is still inhabited. We didn't see a gamekeeper's cottage, but you may be thinking of the Garden House, which is in the woods, not far from the main house. That's now abandoned and falling into disrepair. One of the people on our walk lived there as a child and it was fascinating to hear her memories of the place.The structures you mention on the way up to the triumphal arch are from World War II and were built for training and also maintenance on tanks (a bit like a car inspection pit in a garage).If you're interested in seeing the rest of the Parlington Estate and learning its history in plenty of detail, I do recommend looking out for further guided walks. I think Brian was hoping to run one in the Spring (links to his website are shown further up this thread), and possibly on the next Heritage Weekend in September.            

parlington

Post by parlington »

Tasa wrote: Kippax_Bird wrote: Hi I know this is an old thread but I went for a walk for the first time in years round the parlington estate and I have a few questions.Firstly is the land private property or are you ok to walk around the estate? There just seemed to be a lot of signs stating it was private property.Does anyone live in the large house in the woods or has this just been abandoned? I also seem to remember there being a "gamekeepers cottage" tucked away in the woods or have I just imagined this?Also what are the strange structures all the way up to the triumphant arch? Some of them look quite old but a few seemed to be a bit more modernThank you Hi Kippax Bird,I went on a guided walk around the Estate in September last year as part of the Leeds Heritage weekend, led by Brian (who is "Parlington" on this forum), and learned a lot about the estate. First, the path up to the triumphal arch is on public land, but the signs saying the rest of the estate is private do mean exactly that. Brian, who used to live in the house, no longer lives there and had to obtain permission from the current landowners to lead the guided walk that weekend.The main house is still inhabited. We didn't see a gamekeeper's cottage, but you may be thinking of the Garden House, which is in the woods, not far from the main house. That's now abandoned and falling into disrepair. One of the people on our walk lived there as a child and it was fascinating to hear her memories of the place.The structures you mention on the way up to the triumphal arch are from World War II and were built for training and also maintenance on tanks (a bit like a car inspection pit in a garage).If you're interested in seeing the rest of the Parlington Estate and learning its history in plenty of detail, I do recommend looking out for further guided walks. I think Brian was hoping to run one in the Spring (links to his website are shown further up this thread), and possibly on the next Heritage Weekend in September.             Thought I would chip in here, the roadway up to the Triumphal Arch, is technically speaking a "permissive" access, this means the landowners could if they wished prohibit access. Although this is unlikely as the route has a long history of public usage. Usual things to remember if you walk it, especially if you take a dog along, keep it on a lead, and remove any fouling... no one likes to tread in the stuff! The roadway after the Triumphal Arch is not open to public access unless visiting one of the properties on the estate, for example you can get some really good eggs from Home Farm! For the record, the Gardens House, a beautiful listed Grade Two Georgian property is undergoing a rather slow restoration/repair.Excuse me doing a bit of self promotion, I now do 5 talks related to Parlington:1) History of Parlington Hall2) The Gascoigne Family3) The Garforth Mines4) The Aberford Railway5) The Army and ParlingtonI usually talk to local history groups at their meetings, for example I'm doing a talk on the railway this coming Wednesday evening in Boston Spa. All talks are done using a computer presentation, with many old photographs, some unpublished; the talks are generally for an hour, or longer if required. Contact me off list via the Parlington web site if you are interested. http://www.parlington.co.uk

parlington

Post by parlington »

I'm doing another Parlington walk/talk this coming September, part of the Heritage weekend, as per the one last year. I will be posting details on my Parlington site in the near future.