The rise and fall of Parlington hall

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

mmm. not sure about that.. It's a pleasent enough place to have a wander about with the camera though. You don't have to look far for traces of it's past history...
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

parlington

Post by parlington »

Recent excavations in the area of the Dining Room at the old Hall have uncovered some spent 303 calibre cartridge cases. Thus far two have been unearthed, one in much better condition than the other, the picture above is of the two cartridges.The spent cartridges point to the occupation during World War Two of the Army at Parlington. But who were they shooting at! No bones found as yet!But if we travel back some decades, the area beyond Parlington Hall to the south, past the former Deer Park and amongst the features of this place were the occasional shooting parties. At one such event in 1870 on the 18th June a gardener's labourer, named Edward Cotton, while acting as a marker at a private rifle range at Parlington Park, near Leeds, was accidently shot by Lieutenant Colonel Gascoigne. The marker had left the rifle butt whilst firing was proceeding and without receiving any signal. The ball passed through his body and killed him on the spot. [An extract from the Leeds Mercury or the Leeds Intelligencier] Whilst walking in the vicinity some years ago, beyond the line of the shooting range I came across a lead bullet which had hit something extremely hard like a brick surface, as it was flattened like a pancake. This was perhaps of the same type of ammunition that killed the unfortunate Edward Cotton.    
Attachments
__TFMF_1l1oi145gh543v45vu02menv_68df0c60-2551-4f61-b613-2da0d7fc7bec_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1l1oi145gh543v45vu02menv_68df0c60-2551-4f61-b613-2da0d7fc7bec_0_main.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 10512 times

parlington

Post by parlington »

To those that might have an interest in the history of our area, you may wish to visit my parlington site as I have added a lot of new items recently, following a feature in the BBC History magazine in August. One point of interest is the death of Tom Gascoigne, with more information about the location of his untimely death whilst hunting in 1809.http://www.parlington.co.uk/inhabitants ... 3#tg_death

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

parlington wrote: To those that might have an interest in the history of our area, you may wish to visit my parlington site as I have added a lot of new items recently, following a feature in the BBC History magazine in August. One point of interest is the death of Tom Gascoigne, with more information about the location of his untimely death whilst hunting in 1809.http://www.parlington.co.uk/inhabitants ... 3#tg_death Hi to you parlington i used to come to Parlington Hall Park in the fiftys to camp with our scout groupe. The ruins were still there at that time the senior scouts used to tell us young ones that a headless horse man haunted the place.I have had a few sleepless nights in the park one thing i can say i have walked through that tunnel at midnight with some of the scouts as a bet not bad for a ten year old.When we came to Parlington we had to walk from Hunslet with all our gear on hand carts no light nylon tents in my day we had canvas bell tents with wooden poles it was no easy task pulling them carts i can tell you.

parlington

Post by parlington »

Thanks Sundowner,It seems that the grounds around the old hall and the area near the Triumphal Arch were used by the scouts and guides throughout the first half of the twentieth century, probably up until the sale of the estate in 1964. I have a number of sections on the site detailing the scouting and also the guides who enjoyed camping at Parlington. If you have any pictures of your time at camp, I would be pleased to see them.There are some details here:http://www.parlington.co.uk/hall.lasso?process=5The pictures show that the scouts also used hand carts to carry their equipment and stores in the 1920's so not much changed in the thirty years gap, including the bell tents!As to the headless horseman, [edited for content] bridge over the Cock Beck between Aberford and Barwick, is reputedly the location for a headless horseman! I've also seen some strange orb like lights in the Dark Arch, during daylight!

parlington

Post by parlington »

Well... PC gone mad the bridge I referred to between Aberford and Barwick is the name of a four legged creature, commonly used for transport and often mistaken for a donkey, smaller than a horse, beginning with an A and followed SS. It really takes the biscuit that such things are edited out, in any context hardly offensive language. I don't like my words being edited, automatic moderator robot!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

LOL it censored the a$$ but let cock throughWelcome to the wonderful world of the S/L censor machine!By the way, thats some mighty fine work you have been doing up there mate.    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

Hi AllSlightly OT, but still Parlington related! Does anyone know where Parlington Secondary school was. I know it closed in around 1967, when Garforth Comprehensive School opened. From what others have told me I believe it was all prefabs!    
Fleetline

parlington

Post by parlington »

Parlington Secondary School was at the end of Parlington Lane on the junction with Cattle Lane [Barwick Road]. It was the army base during WW2 [3rd Repair Depot] The school made use of some of what remained after the army left. In recent years it has been developed and is a small housing estate these days.The army of course made use of the Parlington Estate and I was told that after D-Day there were half-tracks parked side by side all the way up to the triumphal Arch, literally hundreds of them waiting to go to the Western Front! Today the ramps from inside the Elephant Shelters are still on site.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

parlington wrote: Thanks Sundowner,It seems that the grounds around the old hall and the area near the Triumphal Arch were used by the scouts and guides throughout the first half of the twentieth century, probably up until the sale of the estate in 1964. I have a number of sections on the site detailing the scouting and also the guides who enjoyed camping at Parlington. If you have any pictures of your time at camp, I would be pleased to see them.There are some details here:http://www.parlington.co.uk/hall.lasso?process=5The pictures show that the scouts also used hand carts to carry their equipment and stores in the 1920's so not much changed in the thirty years gap, including the bell tents!As to the headless horseman, [edited for content] bridge over the Cock Beck between Aberford and Barwick, is reputedly the location for a headless horseman! I've also seen some strange orb like lights in the Dark Arch, during daylight! Hi parlington sorry no photos but yours brought back many happy memories great work on your part keep up the good work.I will keep an eye on your site and if something crops up that i can be of help with i will post it in.Keep your powder dry.