The rise and fall of Parlington hall

Places to explore
parlington

Post by parlington »

The weird incident of Crown Prince Ernestine Vladimir Zmronge, sixth in line to the Russian Throne, who, according to the 1903 Garforth Gazette, was invited to Parlington Hall, and met with a terrible fate. His story is told in a local history book, the facts of which I am still trying to ascertain, however details of the incident involving witches can be found here:http://www.parlington.co.uk/oddstuff.lasso?process=2 Where do these stories come from?

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Fleetline wrote: Hi AllSlightly OT, but still Parlington related! Does anyone know where Parlington Secondary school was. I know it closed in around 1967, when Garforth Comprehensive School opened. From what others have told me I believe it was all prefabs!     Heh. That was me dad's school...

Leeds 9er

Post by Leeds 9er »

I had a lovely walk along Parlington Lane and the Fly Line this week. It's the first time I have walked in that area but I have been doing some reading up on the area and the Fly Line.A few things intrigued me on the walk. Is the spring a natural one that is sited about half way along the fly line route?At the Garforth end of the line behind the railings within Hawk's Nest Wood there seems to be some sort of wooden carriage rotting away in the undergrowth. I wondered if this was a passenger carriage from railway?I also noticed at the Barwick Road end of Parlington Lane a couple of very large birds nesting in trees where the lake would have been. Can anyone confirm the breed of bird?Thank you.

parlington

Post by parlington »

Leeds 9er wrote: A few things intrigued me on the walk. Is the spring a natural one that is sited about half way along the fly line route? Yes, the land to the north is called the Bathingwell Plantantion, which says it all! Leeds 9er wrote: At the Garforth end of the line behind the railings within Hawk's Nest Wood there seems to be some sort of wooden carriage rotting away in the undergrowth. I wondered if this was a passenger carriage from railway? It was a carriage but not one that was ever used on the railway. It was used as a static home, there is an article on the subject on my Parlington Info site here: http://www.parlington.info/?p=31#comments Leeds 9er wrote: I also noticed at the Barwick Road end of Parlington Lane a couple of very large birds nesting in trees where the lake would have been. Can anyone confirm the breed of bird? Yes I too have seen them, they are Kites.Cheers

Leeds 9er

Post by Leeds 9er »

Many thanks for the reply, it really is a beautiful place. I will be spending some more time up there during the summer I'm sure. Nice and safe for the kids to ride their bikes and enjoy it.Every time you start to learn about the History of East Leeds it turns over another interesting part.

parlington

Post by parlington »

Leeds 9er wrote: Many thanks for the reply, it really is a beautiful place. I will be spending some more time up there during the summer I'm sure. Nice and safe for the kids to ride their bikes and enjoy it.Every time you start to learn about the History of East Leeds it turns over another interesting part. If you are interested in the History of the area try my history site at: http://www.parlington.co.ukCheers

parlington

Post by parlington »

A recently uncovered photograph of Parlington Lane taken in the early part of the twentieth century, when the railway was still the main form of transport through to Garforth and on to Leeds! An article has also been added on http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures. ... ss=struct5 and here is a picture of it! The children are sitting on the retaining wall by the railway line... very different times, before 'elf an safety' took over.    
Attachments
__TFMF_sotwqs55z3owhu55cuxjxgvy_47eaf771-b0bb-4286-bd44-9959bc7919bc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sotwqs55z3owhu55cuxjxgvy_47eaf771-b0bb-4286-bd44-9959bc7919bc_0_main.jpg (89.41 KiB) Viewed 10190 times

parlington

Post by parlington »

For those of you who enjoy hearing stories about things past, you may like to read my latest article on my Parlington site about the death of a Gamekeeper on 13th May 1885 during a rook shoot. Mr George William Pratt a miner and part time gamekeeper was mortally wounded by a member of the shooting party, he was transported, first by ambulance and then by train from Garforth to Leeds Station and on to the Leeds General Infirmary, where he was already dead on arrival. This is the link:http://www.parlington.co.uk/oddstuff.la ... ocess=odd3    

jan8

Post by jan8 »

Hi ParlingtonJust wondering, was there much damage to the Arch after the car hit it ?
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

parlington

Post by parlington »

jan8 wrote: Hi ParlingtonJust wondering, was there much damage to the Arch after the car hit it ? No, only two small chunks were taken off the corners of the left centre pillar, but enough to cost between £2,000-£3,000 to put it right, the stone is being sourced from Wiltshire, oddly enough.