The rise and fall of Parlington hall

Places to explore
jan8

Post by jan8 »

parlington wrote: I'm doing another Parlington walk/talk this coming September, part of the Heritage weekend, as per the one last year. I will be posting details on my Parlington site in the near future. Oh excellent, I was too late last year, but will keep my eyes peeled, I really would like to do this
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

parlington

Post by parlington »

Hi Everyone,For those interested, this year's (2013) Parlington Heritage Walk is open to visitors, please visit my Parlington website and send me an email from the contact form, to sign up! Look forward to meeting new visitors.Best wishesBrian Hullhttp://www.parlington.co.uk/contact.lasso?process=7

domino85

Post by domino85 »

Already signed up for this years walk and really looking forward to it! One question, who is Downey?Nina
Attachments
DSC_0633.jpg
DSC_0633.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 10717 times

parlington

Post by parlington »

domino85 wrote: Already signed up for this years walk and really looking forward to it! One question, who is Downey?Nina Hello Nina,The gravestone was discovered some years back over the wall by the fish pond, which is obscured from view, from walkers wandering along Parlington Lane. It was discovered during some logging operations and for quite a time was stored at the yard of the Woodsman just opposite Home Farm. For some reason the Woodsman thought it a good idea to place it in the wall, and for more than a year or so it was precariously balanced, or perhaps more accurately, wedged in the stonework. Eventually it fell out, whether by human assistance or not I do not know, but a friend of mine and regular visitor to my Parlington site alerted me to the problem and we got the estate managers to arrange for it to be more permanently sited in the wall. Which is how you see it today.Some people imagine it to have been a headstone to one of the horses who plied the lane pulling coal waggons, however given the location of it when discovered it is more likely to be the gravestone of a Gascoigne family dog, also the inscription is more fitting to a family pet, and not something that would have been likely for a humble work horse. Sadly had the people, on discovering it left it in place, then a thorough investigation of the site could have been undertaken and the skeletal remains may have yielded additional information, perhaps an iscription on a metal tag attached to a dog collar... who knows. A further clue is that at Lotherton Hall is an area in the grounds dedicated to the family dogs, there are more than half a dozen graves and headstones, if my memory serves me correctly.So that is what I know or have deduced from the epitaph to Downey! More widely known today than he ever was in life, strange!Look forward to meeting you on the 15th.RegardsBrian

jan8

Post by jan8 »

parlington wrote: Hi Everyone,For those interested, this year's (2013) Parlington Heritage Walk is open to visitors, please visit my Parlington website and send me an email from the contact form, to sign up! Look forward to meeting new visitors.Best wishesBrian Hullhttp://www.parlington.co.uk/contact.lasso?process=7 Hi Brian,Just wondering how I would know if I was one of the lucky 30 people to make it on the walk this year. I dont want to turn up and then be turned away !Jan8

parlington

Post by parlington »

jan8 wrote: parlington wrote: Hi Everyone,For those interested, this year's (2013) Parlington Heritage Walk is open to visitors, please visit my Parlington website and send me an email from the contact form, to sign up! Look forward to meeting new visitors.Best wishesBrian Hullhttp://www.parlington.co.uk/contact.lasso?process=7 Hi Brian,Just wondering how I would know if I was one of the lucky 30 people to make it on the walk this year. I dont want to turn up and then be turned away !Jan8 Hello Jan8,There are a few places left so I'll put you down, can you send me an email via my Parlington web site on the contact page, and I can confirm the details about where to meet etc on the Sunday afternoon.RegardsBrian

parlington

Post by parlington »

jan8 wrote: parlington wrote: Hi Everyone,For those interested, this year's (2013) Parlington Heritage Walk is open to visitors, please visit my Parlington website and send me an email from the contact form, to sign up! Look forward to meeting new visitors.Best wishesBrian Hullhttp://www.parlington.co.uk/contact.lasso?process=7 Hi Brian,Just wondering how I would know if I was one of the lucky 30 people to make it on the walk this year. I dont want to turn up and then be turned away !Jan8 Hello Jan8,There are a few places left so I'll put you down, can you send me an email via my Parlington web site on the contact page, and I can confirm the details about where to meet etc on the Sunday afternoon.RegardsBrian

domino85

Post by domino85 »

Thank you Brian,It was something my husband and I were wondering last time we rode down there. We noticed the pet cemetery at Lotherton Hall a while agohttp://www.flickr.com/photos/ninanoonanarna/60 ... 339486393I wish I'd have taken better pictures, I can't see the writing on the headstones very well.

tilly

Post by tilly »

domino85 wrote: Thank you Brian,It was something my husband and I were wondering last time we rode down there. We noticed the pet cemetery at Lotherton Hall a while agohttp://www.flickr.com/photos/ninanoonanarna/60 ... 339486393I wish I'd have taken better pictures, I can't see the writing on the headstones very well. Hi domino85 If you click on your photograph you will see it in a much bigger format.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jan8

Post by jan8 »

parlington wrote: jan8 wrote: parlington wrote: Hi Everyone,For those interested, this year's (2013) Parlington Heritage Walk is open to visitors, please visit my Parlington website and send me an email from the contact form, to sign up! Look forward to meeting new visitors.Best wishesBrian Hullhttp://www.parlington.co.uk/contact.lasso?process=7 Hi Brian,Just wondering how I would know if I was one of the lucky 30 people to make it on the walk this year. I dont want to turn up and then be turned away !Jan8 Hello Jan8,There are a few places left so I'll put you down, can you send me an email via my Parlington web site on the contact page, and I can confirm the details about where to meet etc on the Sunday afternoon.RegardsBrian Hi Brian,I already did that as soon as you mentioned it on this site, used the contact form from your page but I guess you didn't get it so do you want me to try it again ?Janet