Old kirkstall brewery Spring/well.

Places to explore
Gars28

Old kirkstall brewery Spring/well.

Post by Gars28 »

I was walking along the canal past the old kirkstall brewery, now student accommodation, the digger in the photo was digging down and there was a concrete chamber being built in the hole where the spring was, you can see the dry stream bed where this short watercourse runs from the spring into the canal. Just wondering why they seem to be diverting the water else where as the canal seems a perfect place for it to end up. this spring must have been the main supply to the brewery and would have been drunk by many Leeds folk over the years. See the old maps photo it is marked "wells" but it is close to the canal today around the 122.2 numbers on the map

Gars28

Re: Old kirkstall brewery Spring/well.

Post by Gars28 »

Gars28 wrote:I was walking along the canal past the old kirkstall brewery, now student accommodation, the digger in the photo was digging down and there was a concrete chamber being built in the hole where the spring was, you can see the dry stream bed where this short watercourse runs from the spring into the canal. Just wondering why they seem to be diverting the water else where as the canal seems a perfect place for it to end up. this spring must have been the main supply to the brewery and would have been drunk by many Leeds folk over the years. See the old maps photo it is marked "wells" but it is close to the canal today around the 122.2 numbers on the map
Attachments
image.png
image.png (878.04 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 7729 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I too thought the canal the perfect place for the excess spring water. However British Waterways objected. I can only think they thought it would dilute the pollution too much ;-)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

I had to laugh at that tyke bhoy.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.