Morley Town Hall

Places to explore
jihfadiuh

Morley Town Hall

Post by jihfadiuh »

I was doing the usual 'tunnels under' search and came accross this - 'Adam Jameson aged 9 recalls a school council visit to the cells at Morley Town Hall and how he managed to catch a glimpse of the now disused underground tunnel to the police station'.

I have found a photo on Leodis showing the old police station on oddfellow street (now demolished) but there is no other mention of a tunnel from the town hall on Leodis or the internet and unable to find much information on the old police station.

Leodis photo id number - 2006728_161629

Does anyone else know of or heard of this tunnel?

jihfadiuh

Re: Morley Town Hall

Post by jihfadiuh »

There is another photo on Leodis showing the police station on oddfellow street id number - 20021223_8341616

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I'm originally from Morley and on the obligitary tour of the town hall as a school kid back in the 1980s I can recall we were told that there used to be a tunnel which went from the town hall to the police station although we were never shown it. As the town hall has its own magistrates courts and cells I find it a bit strange that such a tunnel would exist, I mean its not as if they were having to try any high profile criminals there that would require transporting out of view from the public - IRA members / Yorkshire ripper etc. I always though it meant the tunnel would lead to the cop shop at the top of Queensway but I guess that a later building circa the 1960's / 70s. Although when Morley used to be its own self-governing town with Morley Corporation running things instead of Leeds City Council who knows what might have gone on... maybe this is where the Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel emerged?!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the late 1950s we used to go up to Morley for the extra half hours drinking time and music on a Sunday (not allowed in Leeds) and I am sure the Police Station was up the street on the left hand side of the Town Hall, where Morrisons Supermarket is now. So why would they need a tunnel and where to ?.