LEEDS UNDERGROUND

Places to explore
warringtonrhino

LEEDS UNDERGROUND

Post by warringtonrhino »

I have just seen this on the Manchester Evening News website

The underground rivers, tunnels, shelters, mines and subterranean spaces of Manchester lie just inches from our feet – but remain unseen.
Everything from nuclear bunkers to the Joy Division master tapes have been discovered just below the surface of the city.
Thousands of people tread the tarmac and cobbles above Manchester’s hidden underground world every day, but even the proudest of Mancunians could be forgiven for not knowing it was there.
Fascinated by this hidden world, Mark Crossfield has spent six years researching and developing a comprehensive underground map of the city.

If you look on the website you can look at the map, it is comprehensive and very interesting.
Could we do a similar one for Leeds?
We already have a lot of information and details, and I would volunteer to do the cartography.

Cardiarms

Re: LEEDS UNDERGROUND

Post by Cardiarms »

Got a link?

warringtonrhino

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Looks good. I don't think the tech is difficult. You could link posts to a pin on a map. You usually have to pay for providing access to maps I think.

warringtonrhino

Cardiarms wrote:Looks good. I don't think the tech is difficult. You could link posts to a pin on a map. You usually have to pay for providing access to maps I think.
Yes I agree, I have 2 types of maps in my collection
Ones which I have purchased, these cannot usually be published on the internet, I use them for research.
and Maps which I have drawn myself, I can publish them on the internet.
As mentioned in the first post of this topic, I would produce the map myself then add details and information provided by members.
I anticipate a simple map to at first, getting larger and more detailed as we progress.

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Would this map be o.k. Lines and shapes can be drawn and markers placed on it. I think this was going to be used on the new Secret Leeds site some time age.
http://share.mapbbcode.org/

warringtonrhino

Chappers wrote:Would this map be o.k. Lines and shapes can be drawn and markers placed on it. I think this was going to be used on the new Secret Leeds site some time age.
http://share.mapbbcode.org/
It looks fine, but will the detail that is already on, obscure the things that we want to add?
If anyone can add details, can anyone remove them? At Secret Leeds we know who is on the site and what they are doing.
Are there any restrictions on the amount of detail we can add?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I'd love to have a walk around that deep level Manchester Guardian telephone exchange. There is an excellent and lengthy video on Youtube where someone takes and extensive tour of the place and the scale of it is staggering. Crazy thinking a place like that still exists below a major city yet is more or less mothballed and empty of people. I guess its probably not considered safe anymore due to things like asbestos pollution, lack of fire safety regulations etc.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

markcrossfield

Post by markcrossfield »

Hi

Finally managed to find the post traffic was coming from to my map and thought I’d say hi! Awesome forum you’ve built… would love if there was something as active and interesting for Manchester.

As for the map tech… I’m a web developer so comfortable with a fairly complicated workflow. I use GitHub Pages to host the site for free, a free Mapbox account for the mapping service, and Jekyll to generate the complicated bits of the site. But I only use those tools so that I can have a completely custom map which I can do as I like with.

A much easier solution would be Google Maps. Click the menu on the left, and choose Your Places. Then you get a really easy editor interface and you can customise the icons. That’s how I started my map. You can then embed the maps you create on any website where you can use custom HTML, and control who can edit the map using permissions. Mapbox have a similar tool… but I would say it is a little more complicated.

Right, must head to bed rather than spend hours reading posts on here…

Mark

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds markcrossfield.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.