The Leeds Historical Expedition Society mystery tour!

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Roll up roll up for the magical mystery tour... were dying to take you away! The L.H.E.S proudly presents!! Well ok it might not be in the same leaque as a George Lucas production but at least we had a go under very difficuilt circumstances. We''ll take you on the 2 mile long trip along the Meanwood culvert & tunnel system & you don't even have to get your feet wet, It's all crammed into a 10 minute youtube film! The team for the day were myself, Sam, Dave & Basher. Enjoy the trip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2M
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Fantastic!!!!Is it you doing the 'voice over' Phill?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

That is absolutely brilliant. Excellent job. The last bit looked a bit creepy. Where did you finally emerge? Looks like near The Calls.Using youtube might start a new trend. Thanks.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Excellent Phil, really enjoyed that, thanks!
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

well done mate,that really brought back memories,we must of been mad as kids!we did it aged 15,girl friends in tow,with no wellies,and 1 torch between 5-who says romance is dead!it was great to hear a leeds accent,all i hear down here is that 'have you got a loyt bor' type thing or people who think they are barrow boys,an' all like vat an' evryfink innit!-i miss leeds,your all very lucky.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I couldn't possibly reveal who the comentator was though Drapsey, The general public are seeing a lot more of the L.H.E.S in action as it is-we do have to keep some mystery & secret you know :-) Yes oldleedsman the last tunnel is the longest that goes underground next to the old city of Mabgate pub then travels right under the main bus station & under the railway viaduct which is actually the largest chamber in the tunnel system, Under there you can actually hear a train rumble overhead on the video. It roughly draws level with the parish church & the veers left to emerge in between Crown point bridge & the royal armouries
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Here's a pic that shows the location better. This is why i put out the call for a discreet volunteer photographer to capture this shot for us. Fortunately Briggate.com & oldboys from flickr did us proud! Thanks chaps!
Attachments
__TFMF_uiw1mb3ozzet1bu2bswr14bx_289e3990-532d-4c1a-bbcd-0a4fdc1a2759_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uiw1mb3ozzet1bu2bswr14bx_289e3990-532d-4c1a-bbcd-0a4fdc1a2759_0_main.jpg (380.08 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Relax & take it easy!!! Chill out time by the river!
Attachments
__TFMF_uiw1mb3ozzet1bu2bswr14bx_40349b68-0183-476f-907b-d6de34cd07f4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uiw1mb3ozzet1bu2bswr14bx_40349b68-0183-476f-907b-d6de34cd07f4_0_main.jpg (903.22 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

Great stuff phill.Rather you than me!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Hey Phil that's absolutely amazing, I'm personally fascinated and mesmorized by the massive network of sewers and underground waterways in our town, to the point where the family think men in white coats and a little green van are appropriate sometimes. (my wife doesn't understand me....).I'd love to see more in person, just one small drawback, despite my interset, I've a near pathological fear of actually being anywhere near water in the dark - I'd likely freeze rigid and probably stay there until someone came along and carried me out!! I remember it happening some years ago when going up past the water tanks behind the face of the clock tower at Seacroft Hospital -the door closed and Iwas stuck glued to the damned ladder till help arrived! Felt a right twit.