The Leeds Historical Expedition Society mystery tour!

Places to explore
simonm

Post by simonm »

I really love all this digging around the long forgotten places, no mater how dirty. It's such a shame that a lot of places juts get forgotten about and bulldozed over! Once the older generation die off there is such a loss of heritage. Thanks to the LHES, Leeds is being video's, photgraphed and documented so much better than it ever was..Wish I had the time and knowledge to follow up the traces of Leeds past.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hey Si really well said mate. Isn't there so much interest in this type of thing to fire imagintion & give the Leeds public something very different instead of static museums e.t.c? There is a real oppurtunity to do something unique & let Leeds lead the way here. I've a holy grail place long since buried i've tried all avenues to see how we can get in & fingers crossed my new contact in the film industry just might have the bit of clout we need as he's really interested in using it too. :-) Two heads are better than one!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

skippy

Post by skippy »

great video phill do you work for leeds city council ? you have the colour trousers and vest on what they wear!!!!!
brenda littlejohn

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks Skippy. No i don't work for the council. The clobber is all part & parcel of our secret weapon of looking the part for whatever task is in hand. Nobody shouts at official looking types. We like a nice quiet life & don't want to arouse suspiscion... Works a treat every time :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'm a bit surprised that the old tracks are still up there - I would have thought they'd have been lifted for scrap - perhaps they dont have enough value to justify the work involved?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It is a suprise Drapsey. The viaduct is 1500 yds long. The embankent section is equally as long with all the trackwork lifted apart from one side which is still intact from the start of the viaduct right up to where it starts to curve around Holbeck.. Maybe 1000yds of track in all. All the electric & signalling boxes are still intact all though they've been canabalised off anything of value. You can see the copper thieves have been at work by all the discarded cable waste, Those stupid enough to try cut it live deserve all they get & a few have! There's still a 65mph sign up there although it's really overgrown. I thought that line speed was high to say it had to navigate Gelderd jnct not far away.
Attachments
__TFMF_kxyka35530aoh4rac44pepre_ca7726e1-815a-435e-bfcf-b38cf33cb58a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kxyka35530aoh4rac44pepre_ca7726e1-815a-435e-bfcf-b38cf33cb58a_0_main.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 1292 times

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Some cracking stuff there Phil, Damn i wish i could have come too!!! maybe next time eh?
Love a Landrover

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Absolutely Rangie. Were already planning our next nocturnal video venture deep in the secret confines of the L.H.E.S group. It won't be a historical trip but will fit in nicely with a certain October festival. Nuff said for now :-0 YIKES :-0

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Sounds good to me! Keep me informed, would love to come!!!
Love a Landrover

simonm

Post by simonm »

rangieowner wrote: Sounds good to me! Keep me informed, would love to come!!! You and everyone else mate
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"