The Leeds Historical Expedition Society mystery tour!

Places to explore
Geordi

Post by Geordi »

Nice little explore.What direction are those ball cams pointing? Are they facing onto the construction site as I thinks they are?Just about to watch the Queensbury tunnel vid. I had a look earlier in the year, but there was so much water coming through the brickwork at the time I thought I aint going to risk my camera in there, only to slip and end up on my arse in all the water / mud outside!!I live about 5 mins away from there. Giz a shout if you ever go back or fancy trying the clayton portal. The other end is filled in in the village but I believe there is still a good portion you can get into, even though I would say ropes are required to get down the banking to the portal after they backfilled it so far.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Another great video - you guys are improving every time. The editing is good and, as usual, the music is brilliant. Might be worth using the spell-checker on your captions thoughDo you ever get stopped by anyone? Or do the yellow jackets fool them?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

oldleedsman wrote: Another great video - you guys are improving every time. The editing is good and, as usual, the music is brilliant. Might be worth using the spell-checker on your captions thoughDo you ever get stopped by anyone? Or do the yellow jackets fool them? Thanks oldleedsman! Ha the spell checker. yes i'm really annoyed at that. When your adding the titles on the movie maker it has the habit of flashing the text on to the screen as opposed to displaying it. difficuilt to see what you've put untill it's all done. I've learnt before not to go back a correct it as it knocks everyhing out of sinc & looks worse than a few spelling mistakes! No we've never had any hassle while were out, Never even seen no one! To be honest i think the street photographers get a lot more hassle!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Geordi. Ball cams? There's several old floodlight poles with bits and pieces of lighting still intact at the bottom end where Monkbridge used to access. Don't think i need to go to Queensbury again (4 times in all) but i wouldn't mind another look in Clayton. There's a really bad feeling in that one. Don't know what it is. Never felt like that before. It's filled with a real thick grey mist but suprisingly all my shots tuned out crystal clear. I managed to light up a whole mile of tunnel with one lamp. We were stood under an air shaft were a bad accident happened during it's construction. I don't know if the eerie feeling was anything to do with that!Yikes :-/I've some pics here & we just slide down the embankement with no ropes! WHOOSH!Clayton pics http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/set ... 273013933/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill, must congratulate you on the Central Station stuff, great pics and video. You must have gone in the same way as I did, but trust the zip ties had gone ;-) wonder who did that???

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks Ls1. I admit we made the assault look harder than it was. All in the taste of art you understand. Although were responsible fellas we've even been known to put on our own padlocks on and secure places to keep out the undiserables when were finshed...It looks like there's a few access points these days. It needed capturing before it's dwarved by that new building opposite. Is it called Latitude or something? If the plans to turn the viaduct into a walkway go ahead then lots of that place will be lost forever!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Again, bloody cracking video!! It's been nearly 30 years since I was on top of that and it don't look any different. I always assumed it would be more overgrown. Mind you, given the tree's and shrubs are growing on a stone platform, hardly supprising the growth is stunted!!Just before they cleaned up the "severed" end, nearest to Leeds, a mate and I actually climbed up the derelict bit. If I ever saw my son doing some of the stupid stunts I did I'd kill the daft young bugger!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It's VERY overgrown at the severed end. The bottom of the viaduct isn't too bad as i've seen pictures up there from 1985 when Monkbridge used to use it as an overspill car park hence all the lighting at that end. You must have had good climbing skills to navigate that end Simonm. I'd like to have seen how it looked when it was knocked down as it looks very photogenic with all that ivy growing up it these days, There's still plenty of discarded stone at the bottom of the structure. The wall on top looked a lot higher this time as i managed to get a shot of the panorama before although i don't know how i managed it!
Attachments
__TFMF_sufwhxvggl4ybl55lym05445_5360e751-ed7e-4766-b939-23e1973d5c07_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sufwhxvggl4ybl55lym05445_5360e751-ed7e-4766-b939-23e1973d5c07_0_main.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

You can see how the viaduct split into 2 just beyond this point. It ran on the level & veered to the left where it met the sole survivng goods lift tower. Central station was of course where the old Royal mail building is pictured, It ran down a steep incline from this point into the station. Someone posted on secret Leeds a link to some big detailed arial shots of this place it would be good to see them again if i knew where to look.
Attachments
__TFMF_sufwhxvggl4ybl55lym05445_9f0f992f-ba76-4b0b-92b6-6aa46141b7f7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sufwhxvggl4ybl55lym05445_9f0f992f-ba76-4b0b-92b6-6aa46141b7f7_0_main.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

Great piece of film phill,your production is starting to get more polished.Question,on the opposite side of the viaduct from Whitehall Rd.there appears to be the remains of another,lower, railway bridge that once spanned the canal.If so,how can there besuch a difference in height so near the station? Or was Central Station on two levels?