Fox and Hounds(Horsforth)

Places to explore
stevief

Post by stevief »

A former workmate and regular of the 'Fox' once told me the pub had an under ground stream running adjacent to the cellar."It helpsto keep the beer cool!" There's a small stream by the side of the railway,is it possible there could be a tributary of run-off water from Tinshill close to the station?

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Hi stevief, the F&H pub is quite close to where a horse trough once stood, not much of a link i hear you cry! but when i tell you the horse trough was fed by a natural spring all becomes clear, the hill that Tinshill and Holt Park are built on is water bearing rock (an aquifer i think it's called) hence the water tower and covered reservoir at the top of Tinshill lane! So there could be some bearing on your underground stream theory!
Love a Landrover

stevief

Post by stevief »

rangieowner wrote: Hi stevief, the F&H pub is quite close to where a horse trough once stood, not much of a link i hear you cry! but when i tell you the horse trough was fed by a natural spring all becomes clear, the hill that Tinshill and Holt Park are built on is water bearing rock (an aquifer i think it's called) hence the water tower and covered reservoir at the top of Tinshill lane! So there could be some bearing on your underground stream theory! Thanks rangieowner.I'd never heard of an 'aquifer' before but your explanation makes sense.

Letty

Post by Letty »

.... and there are further springs in the Horsforth area along Low Lane, not too far from the the fox