Marsh Lane Subway

Places to explore
stevief

Post by stevief »

I'm not sure whether this has been covered before,but while browsing through leodis I saw some photos of Marsh Lane subway,built in 1909.It mentioned a Timble Beck but further investigation led me to believe this ran under East Street.Does anyone know why the subway was constructed? What's down there? Has it beenexplored by the intrepid L.G.E.S?

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi SteviefThese subways were really misnamed as they seem to have been created to carry all the services and utilities, not subways as we think of them these days. The Marsh Lane one seems to have run from near the old Woodpecker pub down towards the market. It was a good idea to run all the services in one duct as it would mean no roadworks, but for some reason it never really took off. They were constructed in the early C20, maybe 1910-20.Some of them certainly still exist today. I received a breathless phone call from phil early one morning to say that the entrance to one had been vandalised, so, rightly or wrongly we took the opportunity to have a gander. Carpe diem and all that.It still seems to be used for telecoms cabling. The construction of large projects like the A64M have impacted on the subways causing them to be blocked off in part and the cables re-routed through smaller ducts. We suspect (and LCC have half admitted) that some of these subways have been "lost" and may be still there somewhere.I've recently seen some documents that state that air raid shelter provision in the city in "tunnels/subways" in 1942 was for 2850 persons. On leodis there are some accounts of people using these tunnels as air raid shelters.Timble Beck is unrelated. What people call Meanwood Beck starts near Otley Chevin and meanders its way to the River Aire. It takes the name of the area it is flowing through. So it is variously Adel Beck, Meanwood Beck, Sheepscar Beck, Lady Beck, Timble Beck etc. Timble Beck being the final section before the river.It used to run on a radically different course. Near the Parish Church it went directly east, through an area known as Steander (a stoney place), then ran alongside East Street, until disappearing underneath Roberts Mart mill,before emerging on the riverbank.Interestingly an old bridge over Timble Beck still exists on a traffic island there, pretty much overgrown with shrubbery. The beck was then culverted and now the final section to the river runs on a very different course, emerging just below the weir opposite the armouries.Whether any remnants of the old culverted course of Timble Beck exists is a matter for debate. Most of the area has been heavily developed and it's unlikely that any subterranean watercourses would have survived. Of course, you might very well think that, we couldn't possibly comment.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Riks post.......It used to run on a radically different course. Near the Parish Church it went directly east, through an area known as Steander (a stoney place), then ran alongside East Street, until disappearing underneath Roberts Mart mill,before emerging on the riverbank...............Do you remember that picture link i sent you rik of the beck explore? I've looked for it a few times since but can't find it. Anyway i remember that picture thats always puzzled me since, Quote..We found a smaller side tunnel that some of us decided to follow & we emerged through a manhole @ the back of the parish church. Can't say i remember seeing that. I shall certainly keep my eyes peeled next time tho! (Unless it was through that old door hatch thingy)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

stevief

Post by stevief »

rikj wrote: Hi SteviefThese subways were really misnamed as they seem to have been created to carry all the services and utilities, not subways as we think of them these days. The Marsh Lane one seems to have run from near the old Woodpecker pub down towards the market. It was a good idea to run all the services in one duct as it would mean no roadworks, but for some reason it never really took off. They were constructed in the early C20, maybe 1910-20.Some of them certainly still exist today. I received a breathless phone call from phil early one morning to say that the entrance to one had been vandalised, so, rightly or wrongly we took the opportunity to have a gander. Carpe diem and all that.It still seems to be used for telecoms cabling. The construction of large projects like the A64M have impacted on the subways causing them to be blocked off in part and the cables re-routed through smaller ducts. We suspect (and LCC have half admitted) that some of these subways have been "lost" and may be still there somewhere.I've recently seen some documents that state that air raid shelter provision in the city in "tunnels/subways" in 1942 was for 2850 persons. On leodis there are some accounts of people using these tunnels as air raid shelters.Timble Beck is unrelated. What people call Meanwood Beck starts near Otley Chevin and meanders its way to the River Aire. It takes the name of the area it is flowing through. So it is variously Adel Beck, Meanwood Beck, Sheepscar Beck, Lady Beck, Timble Beck etc. Timble Beck being the final section before the river.It used to run on a radically different course. Near the Parish Church it went directly east, through an area known as Steander (a stoney place), then ran alongside East Street, until disappearing underneath Roberts Mart mill,before emerging on the riverbank.Interestingly an old bridge over Timble Beck still exists on a traffic island there, pretty much overgrown with shrubbery. The beck was then culverted and now the final section to the river runs on a very different course, emerging just below the weir opposite the armouries.Whether any remnants of the old culverted course of Timble Beck exists is a matter for debate. Most of the area has been heavily developed and it's unlikely that any subterranean watercourses would have survived. Of course, you might very well think that, we couldn't possibly comment. Thanks rikj,for a very comprehensive reply.So Timble Beck is the same water course that runs along the Meanwood valley trail.Is that Marsh Lane subway in the photo? I'm sure I've seen a photo on leodis showing a beck running under(or near) Eastgate roundabout.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi SteviefYes, Timble Beck is/was the very last section of what is commonly known as Meanwood Beck. From Mabgate the beck runs in underground culverts to the Aire. It passes virtually under Eastgate roundabout. A lot of this culverting didn't happen until as late as the 1930s. If you've an older A-Z that shows parish boundaries then I think that pretty much shows where it runs under the ground. (Parish boundaries usually followed natural boundaries , often rivers, so they are a good way of finding underground streams. But don't tell anyone!!)As Timble Beck it ran under the railway line and then on the 1906 map things are a bit confusing. There seems to be a split, one branch running alongside or under where Howarth Timber used to be. Then running in the open behind buildings on East Street till it ran underneath Roberts Mart to emerge on the river bank. Somewhere I've got a pic of the silted up outfall there, though this has subsequently been lost in the development of Roberts Mart.The other small branch looks to have run more directly to the river through some dyeworks joing the river just above the weir by Crown Point Bridge. The current course of the beck is different to both of these, running in new concrete culverts coming out just below the weir.The map is Yorkshire Sheet 218.06 South Leeds in the Alan Godfrey Series. Well worth the £2.20 it costs in Waterstones!The cable tunnel isn't the Marsh Lane one, but it's fairly nearby.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well we never found this side tunnel to the parish church! Dunno where that can be! We had a go at fiilming down there! If it comes out any good we can try put some clips on here if munki can sort it out! We'll have to see what the quality is like! I found a good commentary from some guy who'd been down the tunnels & posted it to B.B.C Leeds here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/1076601771/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

What i can make it out this appears to be the old bridge over East street, Judging by the location & distance although the culvert meanders pretty eratic it's difficuilt to know exactly what your under :-))
Attachments
__TFMF_fgi0kzvb4nuumk45mmokykjo_1365777d-4360-4969-b20a-c51c43125ede_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fgi0kzvb4nuumk45mmokykjo_1365777d-4360-4969-b20a-c51c43125ede_0_main.jpg (570.01 KiB) Viewed 7360 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

rikj wrote: Hi SteviefThese subways were really misnamed as they seem to have been created to carry all the services and utilities, not subways as we think of them these days. The Marsh Lane one seems to have run from near the old Woodpecker pub down towards the market. It was a good idea to run all the services in one duct as it would mean no roadworks, but for some reason it never really took off. They were constructed in the early C20, maybe 1910-20.Some of them certainly still exist today. I received a breathless phone call from phil early one morning to say that the entrance to one had been vandalised, so, rightly or wrongly we took the opportunity to have a gander. Carpe diem and all that.It still seems to be used for telecoms cabling. The construction of large projects like the A64M have impacted on the subways causing them to be blocked off in part and the cables re-routed through smaller ducts. We suspect (and LCC have half admitted) that some of these subways have been "lost" and may be still there somewhere.I've recently seen some documents that state that air raid shelter provision in the city in "tunnels/subways" in 1942 was for 2850 persons. On leodis there are some accounts of people using these tunnels as air raid shelters.Timble Beck is unrelated. What people call Meanwood Beck starts near Otley Chevin and meanders its way to the River Aire. It takes the name of the area it is flowing through. So it is variously Adel Beck, Meanwood Beck, Sheepscar Beck, Lady Beck, Timble Beck etc. Timble Beck being the final section before the river.It used to run on a radically different course. Near the Parish Church it went directly east, through an area known as Steander (a stoney place), then ran alongside East Street, until disappearing underneath Roberts Mart mill,before emerging on the riverbank.Interestingly an old bridge over Timble Beck still exists on a traffic island there, pretty much overgrown with shrubbery. The beck was then culverted and now the final section to the river runs on a very different course, emerging just below the weir opposite the armouries.Whether any remnants of the old culverted course of Timble Beck exists is a matter for debate. Most of the area has been heavily developed and it's unlikely that any subterranean watercourses would have survived. Of course, you might very well think that, we couldn't possibly comment. I wouldn't have noticed this if you hadn't mentioned it earlier.While walking through Whitelocks yard this afternoon I saw a manhole cover bearing the legend 'Steander Iron Foundry,East Street LeedsIt's near the top bar.

rikj

Post by rikj »

You'll see quite a few manholes with different foundry names on them. Some of the best are the old "Leeds Electric House to House Lighting Company" ones.

Rombald

Post by Rombald »

Does anyone have any old maps of the Marsh Lane area that show the original Timble Bridge? If anyone has a scan or could point me to where I can find one, I'd really appreciate it.