Marsh Lane Subway

Places to explore
rikj

Post by rikj »

When you say original Rombalds, do you have a time period in mind? It's marked on a map of 1726, but that might be earlier than you're looking for.Give us a time period of nearest 50 years and I'll see what I can scan in this evening.

Rombald

Post by Rombald »

rikj wrote: When you say original Rombalds, do you have a time period in mind? It's marked on a map of 1726, but that might be earlier than you're looking for.Give us a time period of nearest 50 years and I'll see what I can scan in this evening. 1726 sounds perfect! I'm actually trying to pinpoint the possible location where Mary Bateman once lived. Born in 1768, indicted on charges of witchcraft in 1809. She's one of several Leeds witches that I'm aware of, but the only one that I've been able to find relatively precise goegraphical information for.

rikj

Post by rikj »

OK, well maybe 1770 will be better, it's a better map as well, not quite so "artist's impression"!This is from the 1767-1770 Survey of Yorkshire by Thomas Jeffreys. Good on you Thomas! The scan would be a bit difficult to see on here, you can see it full size by clicking here. Think you should then be able to click on it to enlarge.Hope that helps. Looking at the Mary Bateman story though, she wouldn't have been living in Leeds till nearer 1800, is that right? There's a map from 1815, it shows a lot more development along Marsh (March) Lane. I suppose this was a time of very rapid expansion in Leeds. I think the 1815 map might give you a better chance of pinning it down but see what you think. Only major streets are named though.Have you tried the Central Library to see if there are any records for 1809?

stevief

Post by stevief »

rikj wrote: OK, well maybe 1770 will be better, it's a better map as well, not quite so "artist's impression"!This is from the 1767-1770 Survey of Yorkshire by Thomas Jeffreys. Good on you Thomas! The scan would be a bit difficult to see on here, you can see it full size by clicking here. Think you should then be able to click on it to enlarge.Hope that helps. Looking at the Mary Bateman story though, she wouldn't have been living in Leeds till nearer 1800, is that right? There's a map from 1815, it shows a lot more development along Marsh (March) Lane. I suppose this was a time of very rapid expansion in Leeds. I think the 1815 map might give you a better chance of pinning it down but see what you think. Only major streets are named though.Have you tried the Central Library to see if there are any records for 1809? Interesting to see Sheeps Scar Beck completely exposed and Timble Bridge.The oldest street in Leeds must be somewhere in that map.

Rombald

Post by Rombald »

rikj wrote: Hope that helps. Looking at the Mary Bateman story though, she wouldn't have been living in Leeds till nearer 1800, is that right? There's a map from 1815, it shows a lot more development along Marsh (March) Lane. I suppose this was a time of very rapid expansion in Leeds. I think the 1815 map might give you a better chance of pinning it down but see what you think. Only major streets are named though.Have you tried the Central Library to see if there are any records for 1809? Thanks for sending me this. I just thought I'd ask before going down the library (my time is very limited at the moment!). Anyway, thanks for sending this map - I'll go down the library later this week and see if they've got anything closer to 1809. It'll be interesting to see how things have changed anyway!Thanks again for the scan,P

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_d wrote: Riks post.......It used to run on a radically different course. Near the Parish Church it went directly east, through an area known as Steander (a stoney place), then ran alongside East Street, until disappearing underneath Roberts Mart mill,before emerging on the riverbank...............Do you remember that picture link i sent you rik of the beck explore? I've looked for it a few times since but can't find it. Anyway i remember that picture thats always puzzled me since, Quote..We found a smaller side tunnel that some of us decided to follow & we emerged through a manhole @ the back of the parish church. Can't say i remember seeing that. I shall certainly keep my eyes peeled next time tho! (Unless it was through that old door hatch thingy) i wonder if this has anything to do with stoney rock lane beck that still runs under crocketts and burtons?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

polo

Post by polo »

very old post i know but theres a book called "great leeds stories" by david thornton which has a chapter on mary bateman which is very detailed including places and victims.If memory serves me she came from quarry hill area then killed people in hunslet and bramley i think

j.c.d.

Re: Marsh Lane Subway

Post by j.c.d. »

As a kid coming going home from school, Mt. St. Marys during and after the second world war I used to go through the tunnel from the bottom of Railway Street to Marsh Lane . Fyffes banana store was at the end but sadly in those days empty. Wonder if the tunnel is still there ?.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

j.c.d. wrote:As a kid coming going home from school, Mt. St. Marys during and after the second world war I used to go through the tunnel from the bottom of Railway Street to Marsh Lane . Fyffes banana store was at the end but sadly in those days empty. Wonder if the tunnel is still there ?.
Is this it ???

http://goo.gl/maps/yw58y
Attachments
Railway Street.png
Railway Street.png (917.31 KiB) Viewed 6174 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Thanks Pal, as a kid it seemed so much longer. must go and have a look next time I am up there.