tunnels under otley

Places to explore
radical_20

Post by radical_20 »

hey, ive been hearing stories about there been tunnels under otley. does anyone know where they are and if they are accesible?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Dunno mate. Tunnels under every town & city but a quick google search comes up with nothing special unless anybody else knows anything different???
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi radical 20This rang a bell and I happened to see the person who told me about them today and refreshed my memory. She was told by someone who works in the library that the cellars underneath the shops along there were/are interlinked and stretch out to reach under th market place. Said they were "too spooky" for her to go down into!I doubt you could walk in there today though. Possibly one source of rumours of tunnels. So, maybe do a little research at your local library!

stevief

Post by stevief »

rikj wrote: Hi radical 20This rang a bell and I happened to see the person who told me about them today and refreshed my memory. She was told by someone who works in the library that the cellars underneath the shops along there were/are interlinked and stretch out to reach under th market place. Said they were "too spooky" for her to go down into!I doubt you could walk in there today though. Possibly one source of rumours of tunnels. So, maybe do a little research at your local library! Are you referring to the old library building on Boroughgate? The new library faces the bus station and is some considerable distance from the market place.I heard a curious story some years ago about Otley.When the 'New Inn'(a much lamented pub!) precinct was being built,an old well was discovered,it can't have had any historical value or surely it would have been preserved.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Steveif, I'm only passing on what I've been told but I assume it's the older building. I guess it's not unreasonable that there were undergrouond cold stores etc. Let's hope we have an Otley correspondent to do some digging!