An air raid shelter for 104 persons.

Places to explore
rikj

Post by rikj »

While peeking around today I came across this snippet. It refers to air raid shelter provision during WWII."Approval being given a contract has been entered into for the adaptation of an archway under the railway at Killingbeck off the Leeds/Selby Road. The accomodation is for 104 persons."I'm assuming this is the subway that runs between Diadem Drive and the Whitebridge/Dunhill estates (pictured above, I hope).But, there's also another tunnel under the embankment there that has gone AWOL. Wykebeck runs under the railway, very heavily fenced off, but there was another watercourse from Killingbeck ponds to a reservoir where the Dunhills now are. This is on the 1906 maps.There's no sign of this tunnel under the embankment now, though it's difficult to look closely. It was the nearest of the three tunnels to Selby Road, so maybe if it was no longer used for water, it was the air raid shelter one. Don't know.Otherwise I guess it must have been the pedestrian subway. Will have to see if there are any signs of it having been a shelter. Certainly a sensible choice as it has plenty of overhead cover.
Attachments
__TFMF_sx5oyp3ui1p3zgbcq1siw1b0_3cae52e6-4afd-4021-aae1-0ad379e4aca2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sx5oyp3ui1p3zgbcq1siw1b0_3cae52e6-4afd-4021-aae1-0ad379e4aca2_0_main.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

This pic you have Rik doesn't show how big this subway really is. It's a bit of a monster in reality! suprising!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/