St Paul's Church Park Square

Places to explore
Hunsletguy

Post by Hunsletguy »

St Pauls church was started in 1791 and held its first service 1794. There was no churchyard, but there was a subterranean mauseleum. The church was demolished in 1905 and Water Board offices built on the site.Does anyone know what happened to the mauseleum and the contents? Are they still there under the old Water Board offices? or were the remains reinterred?

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

Hunsletguy wrote: St Pauls church was started in 1791 and held its first service 1794. There was no churchyard, but there was a subterranean mauseleum. The church was demolished in 1905 and Water Board offices built on the site.Does anyone know what happened to the mauseleum and the contents? Are they still there under the old Water Board offices? or were the remains reinterred? As it happens, I work in those offices! I don't know what happened to the contents of the mausoleum but they aren't under Rivers House anymore - all that is there is a partially underground carpark which you can see from the outside. The pic below is from Leodis but there are others. That hole was around for a long while as Rivers House was completed in 1938. Incidentally, whilst the famous St Pauls House is now nothing more than four walls and some fibreglass pineapples, Rivers House is still the real thing with many of its internal features still surviving - staircases, tablets commemorating various worthy aldermen, panelled doors, mock marble panelling, staircases etc. Probably deserves early listing and it certainly deserves more credit yet is the only significant part of Park Square not even mentioned in the Pevsner Leeds guide! Mind you, Pevsner himself didn't notice Calverley Old Hall.......

Hunsletguy

Post by Hunsletguy »

Many thanks to RFarrellThere is a photo of the crypt on the Leodis site - http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... r=9069.The site appears to be completely excavated and robbed out.I wander what happened to the monuments and remains. Does anyone know how to find out?

Hunsletguy

Post by Hunsletguy »

Many thanks to RFarrellThere is a photo of the crypt on the Leodis site - http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... r=9069.The site appears to be completely excavated and robbed out.I wander what happened to the monuments and remains. Does anyone know how to find out?

rikj

Post by rikj »

Ace pic there hunsletguy! I'll sound out my church contact and see what I can find out.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

rikj wrote: Ace pic there hunsletguy! I'll sound out my church contact and see what I can find out. I used to work next door to Rivers House in St Paul's House. I got friendly with a guy who worked for the environment agency whan I used to go out for a cig. He took me in and showed me some old photo's in one of the meeting rooms. There is a good one of part of the cottages that were where St Pauls House is now. Anyhow, he was telling me a bout problems with subsidence in the car park, and that the crypt was still in fact there under neath the car park. Under the ramp as you go down apparently there is access to this.Having said that judging by the areial photo it would seem that the removalof the church went so deep all traces were removed of the crypt. Who knows, there are a lot of urban myths out there!

rikj

Post by rikj »

Ooops, forgot to get back on this one. A friend in the church says that any remains moved would have to be recorded in the parish records. Where the records would be now is another questions.If it came under the Diocese of Ripon then maybe they would have them. Alternatively they could be with a local church, or with the West Yorkshire Archive Service.