new farnley help wanted

Places to explore
madnessphil

Post by madnessphil »

i am looking for photo's of new farnley past and present, but i am especially looking for photo's of what is being called 'the pool wall' that was behind beechfields housing estate, it was the same size and shape of a tennis court made out of red brick and was always full of water, if anyone as any information on this please let me know.thank you
p gaunt

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Try the Leodis link on the top left of this page. Also try Google images.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

sivoodoo

Post by sivoodoo »

I remember it well, I may have some photos, but that will take me a time to dig them out.As a teenager my friends and I used to play around that area.It was a reservoir, walled in red brick with a blocked up entrance, you could easilly climb over the wall and there was some steps down to the water. In winter the whole thing would freeze and we used to skate on the thin ice, very dodgy!About ten yards away was a walled pit with a lkadder going down 20 feet or so, at the bottom was a big iron wheel and valve, rusted up.Ill try and find some photos.regardsSi.

madnessphil

Post by madnessphil »

that would be great if you have photo's of this i still can't find any anywhere, if you find them could you post them to me at zomzoms@hotmail.comthanks for your helpphil    
p gaunt

Robint

Post by Robint »

I lived in New Farnley from 1948 to 1954, aged 3 to 9. Initially we lived at Barker Well Cottage, on Lawns Lane and then moved to number 31 Playground. My father Fred Tindale worked for Sydney Stephenson at Well Holme Farm.I remember the reservoir very well, climbing over the iron gate to collect a jam jar full of newts!I think that water was like a magnet to young lads of 7 or 8 years old, we never thought about how dangerous it could be. As I recall, it certainly seemed a lot bigger than a tennis court.Does anyone remember the Guide Hut which was quite close to the reservoir? I remember my parents having their silver wedding party there.I would appreciate looking at any photographs that you may have of the reservoir. I have three publications by the Farnley Local History Group, but there are no photos in there of either the reservoir or the Guide Hut. Included in one of the publications, is a map from 1930, which clearly shows the reservoir.email address, tinbins1@aol.comThanks,Robin.

madnessphil

Post by madnessphil »

sivoodoo,not sure if your still reading this, but have you managed to find any photo's of the reservoir in new farnley?
p gaunt