What is it?

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

On the train out of Leeds the other day, just past the site of Holbeck Low Level I noticed these features:http://goo.gl/maps/PtYCCircular conrete platforms, about 8ft across, the sort of thing that caps shafts, with a manhole cover in them. Any ideas?    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

We're not sure

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I thought it must be something to do with Cardi's lot - till I saw who the poster was

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I checked :-D, we tend not to put sewer access on the top of embankments.

jim

Post by jim »

Just as a wild guess. There was originally a ramped entrance to one platform with subway to the adjacent platform of the Low Level station between the bridges on Gelderd Road. Might these have been filled in on closure, but "breathe holes" installed to allow gases to escape?    

jim

Post by jim »

As a further suggestion, perhaps the subway still needs access by the Civil Engineers for examination to ensure the continuing safety of the tracks above.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I looked at that too Jim, the thing is it doesn't explain the manhole on the other side of the tracks, I doubt any of that ramp survives today. Looking at the photo how it was there is only the station platform covering a small section of ramp, when they demolished the platform you can bet half of it was dumped in there to fill it up again.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Phill. Quite right, my memory is playing tricks on me. There was a second platform, to the right of that shown in the photo you posted, but it commenced a little further "back" towards Leeds City, and as you say would not have had a subway across from the one depicted quite so close to Gelderd Road. The second platform can be seen on the old-maps for the area for 1921. Another pair of ideas shot down in flames!    

patter

Post by patter »

Could they be linked with the temporary Leeds Whitehall station?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Somebody, haphillahhmm, sorry sneezed, needs to lift a lid and take a peak when no one's looking - not that I'd suggest trespass should be considered (not on this thread anyway )